Premed 101 Forums

Women's attire

I think the general idea is to not let your clothes distract the interviewer and yourself, ie. you should be comfortable in them. Like any job interview and professional workplace, you should abide by the dress norm.

Actually, I have a question too, about shoes.

What type of shoes are you ladies wearing? High heels, shorter heels, or no heels?!

For an MMI, I think definitely wear low heels cuz you'll be walking from room to room. For standard interview, wear whatever you feel comfortable but I personally think a little heel is more sophisticated than flats.

I'm scared of wearing really short heels though cuz then obviously I'd have to get my pants hemmed that way and I wouldn't be able to wear them again with higher heels. Given how much money a suit can cost (over 100), I want to be able to wear it more than once.

Do people know if once you get pants hemmed, you can't make them longer again?

• Replies 275
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most of the girls on my MMI track wore skirts ... but the two girls off the track who got into med both wore pants.

Wear whatever you feel comfortable in. I have comfy heels that I wear, I wouldn't go for anything above 2", though, due to the mobility issue with the MMI. Also, falling and breaking something before the MMI is not advisable ;)

I wore a black pant suit, with a collared striped shirt for my interview with about 1 1/2 pumps, and minimal make-up...boring boring, but I blended well with the rest. the "uniform" as I refer to it, is not something I would normally wear or am comfortable in wearing, but medicine is a conservative profession and I reflected that in my attire.

^ Club Monaco was the first place I checked...Their smallest size would not fit me properly at all. Everything was WAY too big and hung off me, even though the clothes themselves were really nice.

Something I've always wondered about: Is it necessary to add a bit of spark to what you're wearing? Everyone will be in black, grey, navy blue or pinstripes and it makes remembering each applicant a bit difficult. So I was thinking of getting a conservative but unique blouse, perhaps a belt and a headband. I'm afraid of looking like everyone else, but at the same time I don't want to stand out in a bad way. :/ Any thoughts on accessories?

I get everything tailored. I'm 5'4" and I weigh "just" 100lbs. NOTHING ever fits. Make sure you're careful though, if you go to a crappy tailor, your suit will be completely ruined.

I have a closet full of "work" stuff that are mix-n-match suit pieces. I love knee-length blazers and am going to mix-n-match so I can use my favourite one.

Gotta convince my husband that, out of the 26 pairs, I do not own the appropriate shoes....

^ Club Monaco was the first place I checked...Their smallest size would not fit me properly at all. Everything was WAY too big and hung off me, even though the clothes themselves were really nice.

I got the club monaco suit too! It is really nice. I'm also very petite, and it was hard to find a size...but the Montreal store was kind enough to send me the double zero :) I'm still getting it tailored to fit. I think they are one of the best stores to find classy, professional clothing and I love my outfit!

Most of the girls on my MMI track wore skirts ... but the two girls off the track who got into med both wore pants.

Wear whatever you feel comfortable in. I have comfy heels that I wear, I wouldn't go for anything above 2", though, due to the mobility issue with the MMI. Also, falling and breaking something before the MMI is not advisable ;)

...and you were one of the girls who wore pants that day? :cool:

I heard that last year - for UofM - that like 95% of girls wore pants and blazer, and that if you didn't have the whole suit, you'd really stand out....(not good)

I'm afraid of the same thing as well. Still not sure what to wear underneath, i wanna go with something that has a bit of colour.

I think accessories would be okay as long as it nothing too big or sparkly. I like pearls ,they're safe and conservative and not too flashy. I went to a seminar where they suggested to make the suit stand out women can use scarfs, hand kercheifs,etc...I dunno that sounded a bit outdated to me tho :P

No, scarves can look quite good. I'm finishing my BBA and attend meeting after meeting after meeting for councils, etc. To be quite honest, it doesn't matter. (I've even taken a course on appropriate interview mannerisms and attire). As long as you look clean, comfortable, and "professional -- aka, no tank-tops, no mini-skirts, etc. " then you can nail it. Women can wear such a large variety and get away with it.

I'll be wearing slacks, a turtle neck, some funky beads, and my favourite knee-length blazer. Don't go crazy, but you don't have to go bland. My turtle neck will either be light pink or aqua.

good luck with that~ men never understand!lol

Sigh, they do not. Lol.

...and you were one of the girls who wore pants that day? :cool:

I heard that last year - for UofM - that like 95% of girls wore pants and blazer, and that if you didn't have the whole suit, you'd really stand out....(not good)

You can pull it off with no suit--it's about how you carry yourself!

My two cents, having interviewed med school candidates and recently done the CaRMS tour...

- Wear something that makes you feel good! Above all, your suit should make you feel confident, professional, and doctor-like.

- Most women will wear blazers. It's not mandatory, but if being one of three women without one will make you self-conscious and uncomfortable, buy one!

- Wear comfortable shoes, and remember that even panel interviews are often preceded by tours, standing, etc. Nobody will fault you for wearing flats, but you will look silly limping (as I did at some of my CaRMS interviews...)

- Go easy on the make-up! Less is more; you want to look ready for the office and not a club/bar. Interviews are not the time for experimenting with make-up and accessories

- It's okay to look like everyone else, since you will be scored on what you say and not how you've dressed, unless you wear something unprofessional

Good luck! (Also remember that a traditional suit will pretty much always be in style, so you might get to re-use this one in four years for residency interviews.)

~pf

I was always told that skirts have to be "knee-length" - Does this mean that the skirt has to cover the knees?

I got a skirt that hits just above my knees, but doesn't cover them. I got it because it was the most comfortable. Will that look unprofessional?

I'm thinking of bringing a back-up outfit just in case..but don't want my luggage to get too heavy. :D

I would sit down with the skirt on and see how high it rises when seated, sit beside a mirror so you can see, probably a little bit above the knee is fine when seated. Skirts are weird because they get shorter when you sit, and for the interview, you most likely will be seated. If you are comfortable in it, they you will be confident..

My two cents, having interviewed med school candidates and recently done the CaRMS tour...

- Wear something that makes you feel good! Above all, your suit should make you feel confident, professional, and doctor-like.

- Most women will wear blazers. It's not mandatory, but if being one of three women without one will make you self-conscious and uncomfortable, buy one!

- Wear comfortable shoes, and remember that even panel interviews are often preceded by tours, standing, etc. Nobody will fault you for wearing flats, but you will look silly limping (as I did at some of my CaRMS interviews...)

- Go easy on the make-up! Less is more; you want to look ready for the office and not a club/bar. Interviews are not the time for experimenting with make-up and accessories

- It's okay to look like everyone else, since you will be scored on what you say and not how you've dressed, unless you wear something unprofessional

Good luck! (Also remember that a traditional suit will pretty much always be in style, so you might get to re-use this one in four years for residency interviews.)

~pf

Great tips! Thanks!

You know what makes this less fun? Winter! lol. I have an MMI at Mac next weekend and my grey suit is hemmed specifically for heels (I'm 5'1). Usually it's not a problem, but I'm not a fan of trudging through snow in them. Ah well.

Also on the cold weather/comfort note, I am seriously thinking of wearing a lightweight turtleneck (teal) or cowl neck (purple) with my suit, in a nice soft knit. I did a conference once with this same suit and a nice crisp dress shirt, and I can tell you all that standing and sitting and moving around from room to room (which it sounds like an MMI involves) required a lot of re-tucking and fixing and whatnot. Not comfy. I want to think about the questions, not my clothes!

I will probably bust out the dress shirt (mauve) if I get a sit-down interview though (I like variety).

And my hair is short short. So I always throw on a little mascara and blush to feel less androgynous.

my 2 cents :D

You know what makes this less fun? Winter! lol. I have an MMI at Mac next weekend and my grey suit is hemmed specifically for heels (I'm 5'1). Usually it's not a problem, but I'm not a fan of trudging through snow in them. Ah well.

Also on the cold weather/comfort note, I am seriously thinking of wearing a lightweight turtleneck (teal) or cowl neck (purple) with my suit, in a nice soft knit. I did a conference once with this same suit and a nice crisp dress shirt, and I can tell you all that standing and sitting and moving around from room to room (which it sounds like an MMI involves) required a lot of re-tucking and fixing and whatnot. Not comfy. I want to think about the questions, not my clothes!

I will probably bust out the dress shirt (mauve) if I get a sit-down interview though (I like variety).

And my hair is short short. So I always throw on a little mascara and blush to feel less androgynous.

my 2 cents :D

be optimistic! i'm fully of the deluded mentality that the weather will improve by the weekend. i mean, the snow will melt, right?

I got mine at suzy shier...they had a whole "buy the jacket get the pants free" deal going. I havent bought the shirt to go underneath it yet as suzy shier didnt have many besides plain white. I'll probably go to sears for that.

I LOVE suzy shier, it's affordable and you can get a variety of suits for a decent price... unfortunately mine in town just closed before I could get my new suit :eek: ...I originally was going to wear a grey suit but now I don't know :confused: I try not to get too caught up with the details but it's hard not too! good luck in preparing!

I wore a black jacket and pant suit. The jacket was just below the waist. I wore black flats (mainly for the reason of doing what makes you comfortable, like everyone is saying). I wore a fairly bright blue shirt underneath, as apparently the colour blue makes you look honest (I heard this from law student friends, who knows if its accurate or not...). I also have curly hair, so wore it half up with a clip. I know its important to do whatever makes you feel comfortable - and you certainly wouldn't want to go with something that made you uncomfortable - but I think that there is something to be said for wearing something that makes you feel confident (i.e. a bit more makeup than normal, heels if you can pull it off, etc.). Just my opinion :)

Archived