Premed 101 Forums

Women's attire

1 hour ago, AtypicallyScholarly said:

Reviving this thread in the hopes that someone will see it and give me some advice!

I received my interview invitation a couple of days ago and immediately started prepping, but the thought of an outfit just crossed my mind today and now I can't stop thinking about it! I've since read a bunch of articles and many threads here on PM101 and there seems to be a general consensus that one should wear a solid suit, possibly with a pop of colour in the shirt. But here's the thing; that is just not me...

I am a bit of a shopaholic and putting together an outfit in the morning is one of my favourite parts of the day. I have a job that requires me to dress business casual so I'm accustomed to wearing professional outfits, but I don't own a formal suit nor do I have any interest in purchasing one. I'm going to buy a new outfit for the interview (obv!) but I'm really hoping I can put something less formal together and make it work. I'm a non-traditional applicant as it is (worked full-time throughout undergrad and not as much EC experience as others because of this) so I don't want to wreck my chances by standing out too much BUT I really want my personality to shine through. I normally wear a lot of colours and patterns so the thought of a boring pants suit is making me very sad.

I just purchased pants like these in a light grey: https://www.shape.com/shop/t-tahari-t-tahari-womens-plaid-karis-pant-black-white-8-p72fb6b3f7ead368c88917edd5a970fc5.html
I'm looking at shoes like these or similar: https://www.asos.com/new-look/new-look-patent-loafer/prd/10723139?clr=black&SearchQuery=&cid=13692&gridcolumn=1&gridrow=10&gridsize=4&pge=1&pgesize=72&totalstyles=87

And then I was thinking I'd wear a button up shirt (either white or a dark colour like forest green or a merlot) with a black blazer. 

Thoughts/suggestions??

Those checkered pants look stylish and professional.  You'll look great with a buttoned up shirt and black blazer.
I did my interview in a popping bright blue dress and a navy blazer and that got me into med school just fine. 
Good luck on your interview!

• Replies 275
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Archived