Premed 101 Forums

Women's attire

• Replies 275
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Maybe you ladies can help me with this: I bought a gorgeous grey pant suit from Banana Republic yesterday. The saleswoman convinced me that wearing it with the blazer sleeve turned up so as to show a peek of lining (it is admittedly very pretty, and coordinates beautifully with the shell I got to go under) was a good idea, but now I'm suffering second thoughts. What do you ladies think? To tailor or not to tailor?

Maybe you ladies can help me with this: I bought a gorgeous grey pant suit from Banana Republic yesterday. The saleswoman convinced me that wearing it with the blazer sleeve turned up so as to show a peek of lining (it is admittedly very pretty, and coordinates beautifully with the shell I got to go under) was a good idea, but now I'm suffering second thoughts. What do you ladies think? To tailor or not to tailor?

Omg we bought the same blazer! I'm wearing it with a skirt, though. Lololol. Anyways, I'm wearing it as is (without the sleeves turned up).

What do you guys think about wearing a top like this?

http://www.cleo.ca/shop-categories/blouses-tops/ivory-metallic-lace-top/prod1214A865.html?previousCat=c_tops

I have one like this, also from Cleo except in a pink/coral colour, and plan to wear with a black pantsuit from RW & Co and black flats. (I'm short but I can't do heels). Is the lace unprofessional? I wanted to add some flair to an otherwise rather traditional outfit. Obviously I won't be able to take off my jacket while wearing a tank top but I am usually the type of person who is always freezing haha

http://www.cleo.ca/shop-categories/blouses-tops/ivory-metallic-lace-top/prod1214A865.html?previousCat=c_tops

I have one like this, also from Cleo except in a pink/coral colour, and plan to wear with a black pantsuit from RW & Co and black flats. (I'm short but I can't do heels). Is the lace unprofessional? I wanted to add some flair to an otherwise rather traditional outfit. Obviously I won't be able to take off my jacket while wearing a tank top but I am usually the type of person who is always freezing haha

I think it's super-pretty, and will look good under a jacket, soften up the black suit.

Love that blazer! I think rolled once and with a bit of scrunch is fine like how it is on the model. I furthermore think that lining and shell that match = :D

If it makes it more comfortable for you to get it tailored, go for it!

I am unsure about this top. I think it would be better to err on the side of being professional. The metallic thread makes it look more funky than just lace. I would find another top.

Love that blazer! I think rolled once and with a bit of scrunch is fine like how it is on the model. I furthermore think that lining and shell that match = :D

If it makes it more comfortable for you to get it tailored, go for it!

Thank you so much, that makes me happy to hear. Definitely the verdict I wanted ;)

Also, I just got myself a watch, which I am unseemly happy with. Now, only the purse to go, and I'll be all put together!

• 1 month later...

Hi there,

Just wondering what you ladies think of this outfit - is it not formal enough? Would it be better with a white button up shirt underneath?

http://s7.jcrew.com/is/image/jcrew/95963_WB6622_m?$pdp_fs418$

Would the brown version of the dress be too casual?

http://cdnb.lystit.com/photos/2011/10/11/jcrew-warm-sienna-memo-dress-in-super-120s-product-1-2190010-132287256_large_flex.jpeg

If these are no-gos I'll stick to a black blazer and black skirt/pants. Thanks!

Thanks for that idea! The shoulders of the dress are pretty structured so they might not be comfortable under a blazer. I'll try it on anyway.

Are they too casual to wear w/o a blazer though? Is a skirt suit the ideal/safer bet?

The vast majority of women will be in either skirt suits or pant suits. The dresses by themselves are ok - I am sure others have gotten acceptances after interviewing in similar outfits - but the structured jacket is a standard interview item and pulls the professional look together. It is up to your judgment / comfort level. I will say the brown dress does look a little casual - perhaps the lighter colour highlights creases in the fabric.

• 10 months later...

Archived