Premed 101 Forums

Women's attire

• Replies 275
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I've never seen a beige skirt suit before to be completely honest... my brow furrowed a little bit trying to imagine what this would look like ... hmm. I think I'd be confused if I saw someone in one, to be honest.

I'd stick with dark grey, black, charcoal, grey, navy and dark browns to be safe.

I'm surprised that the style guru of PM101 has never seen such a classic ensemble. I wore a beige skirt suit with a bright top underneath to my interviews last year. Admittedly there weren't many others in light colours but that's part of what makes you memorable.

I say wear what you're comfortable in because looking like you feel uncomfortable is going to stand out more than your suit colour.

I'm surprised that the style guru of PM101 has never seen such a classic ensemble. I wore a beige skirt suit with a bright top underneath to my interviews last year. Admittedly there weren't many others in light colours but that's part of what makes you memorable.

I say wear what you're comfortable in because looking like you feel uncomfortable is going to stand out more than your suit colour.

Soul Sucking Beige doesn't really fall into my likes.

Does anyone have advice on where to buy professional interview clothes? Most things I see look like they are made for my mother and I have a hard time justifying spending so much money to look frumpy!

So far I know of:

- J Crew (but incredibly expensive)

- Banana Republic

….

Thanks!

Where I shop for my attire:

• RW&Co - Additional 70% off sale right now; also nice earrings
  • Jacob - Blazers of variable quality, need to try them on.
  • Ricki's - Excellent return policy and great sales!
  • Anthropologie - I don't buy anything that isn't a "Second Cut" sale
  • eBay - If you know what you want, don't be afraid to get 2nd hand
  • Forever21 - Accessories, and belts!
  • Le Chateau - (And Le Chateau Outlet); Try on in person if you can - TERRIBLE return policy.
  • Friend's Closets - ... yeah; I've been known to swap/raid!
  • Online Retailers: Shop Ruche, ModCloth and Dorothy Perkins are my Go-To's

How about the plus sized group?

I'm trying to find good professional attire that doesn't cost $500. I'm tall and have very broad shoulders so even when I find stuff my size it is too tight across the shoulders or too short! I need a good women's suit. I know I won't need it until next year, but I want to start looking now so I have an idea where to go when I head off-Island to shop, particularly since I will likely need to buy a size or two up and have it tailored. Off-the-rack stuff never fits right. If it fits across my shoulders it's a tent on the rest of me.

What is your budget like? Is this an investment to be reworn in the future? I think that department stores would be worth checking out for a better selection:

http://www.sears.ca/product/jessica-md-3-piece-suit/648-000267591-WF12-JE40-2816

http://www.thebay.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/en/thebay/search/womens-apparel/blazers--suits-168305--24

There are also specialty plus size stores (can't say I like the zippers on this one, but it's more economical and would do in a pinch):

http://www.penningtons.com/Ponte-Knit-Jacket/719885,default,pd.html?dwvar_719885_color=Black&start=8&cgid=PE-Apparel-Tops-Jackets

Budget will be a few hundred, but I have to account for tailoring. I'd like something I can use again for when I have big meetings at work.

I'm looking for ideas for shops outside of the mainstream, stores I might be able to visit or buy from online that people can vouch for as having good products since I have very little luck with department and chain stores.

For what it's worth, I'm not massively obese I am just shaped very weird so I end up always having to size up and have things tailored. Makes finding clothes tough.

I'm really scared that my skirt isn't long enough. I think it looks professional enough. (my 80 year old grandpa said "your skirt is long enough for once" when he saw it, haha, and I'm not one for really short skirts) it hits right at the top of my kneecap when standing, and doesn't ride up much at all when standing. I didn't want it any longer as I think skirts that go straight across my kneecap make me look stumpy. It's a petite (I'm 5'1) skirt suit for Ann Taylor, so I figured it would be okay.

http://www.anntaylor.com/petite-all-season-stretch-pencil-skirt/328997?colorExplode=false&skuId=15287533&catid=cat550044&productPageType=fullPriceProducts&defaultColor=1581

That's basically it.

I'm really scared that my skirt isn't long enough. I think it looks professional enough. (my 80 year old grandpa said "your skirt is long enough for once" when he saw it, haha, and I'm not one for really short skirts) it hits right at the top of my kneecap when standing, and doesn't ride up much at all when standing. I didn't want it any longer as I think skirts that go straight across my kneecap make me look stumpy. It's a petite (I'm 5'1) skirt suit for Ann Taylor, so I figured it would be okay.

http://www.anntaylor.com/petite-all-season-stretch-pencil-skirt/328997?colorExplode=false&skuId=15287533&catid=cat550044&productPageType=fullPriceProducts&defaultColor=1581

That's basically it.

I agree with your assessment; right above the knees is a flattering length for everyone. I'd try to avoid right across the knee cap -- another nice length is right under the kneecap.

As long as it doesn't ride up when you sit down, I think you're off to the races :D

I agree with your assessment; right above the knees is a flattering length for everyone. I'd try to avoid right across the knee cap -- another nice length is right under the kneecap.

As long as it doesn't ride up when you sit down, I think you're off to the races :D

Thanks Renin!

Hi ladies,

What are your thoughts on ankle boots for interviews? I'm not much for heels and my boots are fairly classy black leather that I regularly wear to work with a skirt or dress.

Does this seem too casual? Currently my only alternatives are taller boots or leopard print patterned flats which are a definite no go I would think. Thoughts?

Thanks!

Hi ladies,

What are your thoughts on ankle boots for interviews? I'm not much for heels and my boots are fairly classy black leather that I regularly wear to work with a skirt or dress.

Does this seem too casual? Currently my only alternatives are taller boots or leopard print patterned flats which are a definite no go I would think. Thoughts?

Thanks!

they might look good if you wore pants?

Hi ladies,

Thanks!

I wore black leather booties w/ black tights and a black pencil skirt for my CaRMS interviews. I vote yay.

• 2 weeks later...

So I have a dilemma - I have been diligently combing the sale racks and have acquired an array of very nice skirts. Unfortunately I have almost no tops to go over them.

Some of the skirts are heavier fabric like tweed or corduroy and a lot of my tops are knits, so it doesn't always look so great together.

Thoughts on where I could get some simple, professional looking tops to go over some of my awesome acquisitions? :P

I actually have never owned so many corduroy/lace/tweed/heavy fabric skirts in my life and I have no idea what one wears on top of them.

I almost never buy skirts unless I know what top I am going to wear with them.

I'd go and find a few tops that go with almost every skirt - and duplicate these tops because they're worth their weight in gold.

Have you ever tried tops like: http://www.rickis.com/by-category/tops/dot-print-structured-shirt/prod8152ED221125789D.html and http://www.rickis.com/by-category/sale/printed-peter-pan-collar-top/prod8120ED314310200.html

• 2 weeks later...
Hey ladies,

For updos, what would you say is the most professional for long hair? A straightened ponytail, a ponytail with some curls, a tight bun, or something else?

I just went with it down. I normally never put my hair up (unless it was in the lab) and I was more comfortable that way. Do what you feel natural and don't have to worry too much about your physical appearance.

Hey ladies,

For updos, what would you say is the most professional for long hair? A straightened ponytail, a ponytail with some curls, a tight bun, or something else?

Any of those are fine - like the poster above said, do what's comfortable for you so you're not thinking too much about how your hair feels the day of. :)

Archived