Premed 101 Forums

Women's attire

• Replies 275
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Any feedback on this jacket? Trying to decide if I should wear this since I already own it, or get something more conservative.

http://www.laura.ca/13477-Faux-Leather-Trim-Tweed-Jacket.aspx

(mine fits looser on me than the one on the model)

Thanks!

IMO it's probably fine, as long as you'll feel just as confident and comfortable surrounded by other interviewees in traditional suits. Maybe fill in the neckline with a conservative necklace (pearls).

Ladies, what are your thoughts on a beige skirt suit? Is it too blah, or is it classic? I would be wearing a black shirt and black shoes with it, and obviously stockings.

Nothing wrong with beige. If possible, go for a shade that suits your colouring and doesn't make you appear washed out - usually beige is better for those with warm tones.

How does everyone feel about skirt suits? Is wearing stockings a necessity? My skirt goes just below my knee so I don't think it's an issue of not being conservative enough.

I wore a skirt suit to my interview with tights, and it worked fine for me. :) As long as it's well-tailored and fits you well, I think it's fine. I will say, though, there was a girl at my interview day wearing a skirt suit a size too small, and her skirt rode way up and twisted and I could almost see her underwear at one point. :( So if you're going to wear a skirt, just make sure that you won't have any wardrobe malfunctions in it.

How does everyone feel about skirt suits? Is wearing stockings a necessity? My skirt goes just below my knee so I don't think it's an issue of not being conservative enough.

Remember that you are interviewing in a conservative profession and this means you should have covered leg. If you are REALLY opposed to it, find some nude hose.

Your interview is not the time to show you are fashion forward :)

Any feedback on this jacket? Trying to decide if I should wear this since I already own it, or get something more conservative.

http://www.laura.ca/13477-Faux-Leather-Trim-Tweed-Jacket.aspx

(mine fits looser on me than the one on the model)

Thanks!

Although not a traditional suit topper, the Chanel-esque vibe will win you enough points with the traditional people. Go for it.

Love Lactic's suggestion of the pearls. Bonus if they're chunky pearls ;)

Ladies, what are your thoughts on a beige skirt suit? Is it too blah, or is it classic? I would be wearing a black shirt and black shoes with it, and obviously stockings.

I've never seen a beige skirt suit before to be completely honest... my brow furrowed a little bit trying to imagine what this would look like ... hmm. I think I'd be confused if I saw someone in one, to be honest.

I'd stick with dark grey, black, charcoal, grey, navy and dark browns to be safe.

I've never seen a beige skirt suit before to be completely honest... my brow furrowed a little bit trying to imagine what this would look like ... hmm. I think I'd be confused if I saw someone in one, to be honest.

I was imagining something like this (though they are calling this champagne instead of beige):

http://www.amazon.com/Le-Suit-Womens-Jacquard-Champagne/dp/B00FJRDPR4/ref=sr_1_1?s=apparel&ie=UTF8&qid=1390781347&sr=1-1

What's the general consensus about nail colour (unless it's just best to go with nothing)?

Clear and tidy, please :) - I bet you could probably get away with a light pink if you really needed a colour, but no sparkles or bling or anything crazy.

I do paint my toenails though. My rebellious secret ;)

Renin (or others)

Traditional black suit with... coral coloured dress shirt. It is more coral than the pink shown in the picture. I wore light blue/white striped last year but normally I wear bright colours and feel more comfortable in them. I only had one interview last year.

http://arcteryx.com/product.aspx?language=EN&gender=Womens&model=Libere-Comp-LS-W

Renin (or others)

Traditional black suit with... coral coloured dress shirt. It is more coral than the pink shown in the picture. I wore light blue/white striped last year but normally I wear bright colours and feel more comfortable in them. I only had one interview last year.

http://arcteryx.com/product.aspx?language=EN&gender=Womens&model=Libere-Comp-LS-W

Looks great; tone it down with some simple neutral accessories and you're ready to rock and roll.

Renin (or others)

I WANT THAT SHIRT :D I think that will look great, and you're smart to go with what you feel most comfortable with (partly why I wear pants and not skirts :P)

Renin (or others)

Love it - last year I did a navy suit with a very similarly coloured button-down. I wanted to stand out a bit while still looking professional. I think it will look great. :)

Clear and tidy, please :) - I bet you could probably get away with a light pink if you really needed a colour, but no sparkles or bling or anything crazy.

I do paint my toenails though. My rebellious secret ;)

So is green too crazy, like this shade? What is my outfit is very conservative? I just realized it's called "Four leaf clover," so it might be worth wearing anyway

I kind of have two outfits in mind...

one is the more traditional pencil skirt/blouse combo in conservative colours.

But I have this really great "work dress" (I don't really know what else to call it)

It kind of looks like this:

http://www.clubmonaco.ca/product/index.jsp?productId=23181566&cp=12249921.12266416.12454893

BUT it goes below the knee, and is not from club monaco as I am a poor broke student. I was thinking of pairing it with a blazer.

Do you think that would work?? Or I should stick to the safe outfit?

Thanks!

So is green too crazy, like this shade? What is my outfit is very conservative? I just realized it's called "Four leaf clover," so it might be worth wearing anyway

I actually own that colour, and many, many bright glitters, and I went with an understated pink/rose gold shade for my interview. I'd suggest to err on the side of being conservative. Honestly, though, a lot of what went into my colour selection was that I was paranoid that I'd chip my polish during the interview, and a chip would be way more noticeable with a bright colour than a neutral.

...that being said, I got a run in my hose walking into my first MMI station and apparently no one held it against me. Haha.

I kind of have two outfits in mind...

one is the more traditional pencil skirt/blouse combo in conservative colours.

But I have this really great "work dress" (I don't really know what else to call it)

It kind of looks like this:

http://www.clubmonaco.ca/product/index.jsp?productId=23181566&cp=12249921.12266416.12454893

BUT it goes below the knee, and is not from club monaco as I am a poor broke student. I was thinking of pairing it with a blazer.

Do you think that would work?? Or I should stick to the safe outfit?

Thanks!

I think this dress with a blazer would work - it's really like wearing a pencil skirt suit. I say if it's comfy and you think you can rock it, go for it.

Don't forget to do the sit-test!

I can't afford Club Monaco either, don't worry :)

Mine's a lot darker than that, and is from Banana Republic... so it's a lot more modern than that.

I regret buying the darn thing. I think I'll have to start over on what I might wear.

I'm sure your suit is fine :) Especially if it's a lot darker. That one is just really really horrific.

Archived