Premed 101 Forums

Women's attire

I'm thinking of wearing a turquoise blazer- thoughts? I was going to go with the traditional black suit but I just feel better with this. It'll be with black dress pants and a black or white top. It's all pretty conservative but is the colour too out there??

• Replies 275
  • Created
  • Last Reply

While looking through my closet, I've realized that I may not have appropriate interview attire. I have nice slacks, button up shirts, dresses, formal concert attire and one suit. The suit was found at Sally Ann and it is a black pin-stripe style. I like to wear it out for fun, but not professionally. I don't think this suit would be appropriate for my interview NOSM. But I'm not one to keep up with the trends and I don't know if pin stripe is dated. I would prefer to use what I have than go out and buy something, since the budget is tight.

Do you have any ideas or suggestions?

Is the cut of the suit professional? Why do you feel it is not appropriate - are the stripes too wide? The suit doesn't necessarily have to be trendy or current as long as it is professional - but if your instinct is that it is not, maybe see if you can borrow from a similar-sized friend or family member.

Is the cut of the suit professional? Why do you feel it is not appropriate - are the stripes too wide? The suit doesn't necessarily have to be trendy or current as long as it is professional - but if your instinct is that it is not, maybe see if you can borrow from a similar-sized friend or family member.

I took a picture but this forum can't load large images, so I found an image online. The picture is not the best quality, but it gives you an idea.

The suit fits me very well and I feel comfortable in it, but I would like a second opinion. I also have a variety of dress pants and blouses. Is it necessary to wear a suit jacket? From reading this thread it seems like it is. Please advise.

post-35331-140744795809_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I'm not applying until next year, but I wanted to get this question out of the way. What's the verdict on visible tattoos? If I get an interview I'd really like to wear a skirt or dress suit with hose or tights, but I have two tattoos (one on each leg) that would be visible. They are very tasteful and not obscure or anything, but I'm curious to know if it would be safer for me to stick to pants.

I'm not applying until next year, but I wanted to get this question out of the way. What's the verdict on visible tattoos? If I get an interview I'd really like to wear a skirt or dress suit with hose or tights, but I have two tattoos (one on each leg) that would be visible. They are very tasteful and not obscure or anything, but I'm curious to know if it would be safer for me to stick to pants.

As someone who's sat on the other side of the table, I would expect applicants to "dress professionally." Simply put, this means dressing in a way that shows respect for the people you are meeting, whether it be interviewers or patients. This includes avoiding dressing in a way that distracts from the conversation. Personally, I would not think any less of an applicant if I knew they had a tattoo. But if I found it distracting, it could potentially take away from my impression of the interview experience.

Having said that, there is always a chance that an interviewer may be more conservative than this, so the safest option is to disguise the tattoo with dark tights, as mentioned above, or hide it altogether with pants.

As an aside, I think pants are always safer than skirts. I have seen too many applicants wear skirts that are inappropriately short... In a professional setting, the general rule of thumb is that a skirt should be no shorter than just above the knee. Any shorter than that, and too much leg shows when sitting. I've seen it happen... and other interviewers, as well... and that is probably not the kind of long-lasting impression an applicant wants to make.

Hope that helps.

It does - thanks! What's the verdict on high-waisted pants? Something like this:

closencoat2+reiss+black+and+white+silk+high+waisted+pants+geometric+print+black+marvin+richards+cashmere+coat+with+detachable+fur+collar+black+silk+v+neck+top+with+button+accents+silver+choker+asos+suede+ankle+strap+pointed+toe+pumps+escada+sunglasses.jpg

But of course, without that design on the pants and with a more conservative shirt and blazer

Those same pants in a non-polka-dot style would be perfectly fine. The key is that you don't distract your interviewers. You want them to be able to focus on what you're saying.

It does - thanks! What's the verdict on high-waisted pants? Something like this:

closencoat2+reiss+black+and+white+silk+high+waisted+pants+geometric+print+black+marvin+richards+cashmere+coat+with+detachable+fur+collar+black+silk+v+neck+top+with+button+accents+silver+choker+asos+suede+ankle+strap+pointed+toe+pumps+escada+sunglasses.jpg

But of course, without that design on the pants and with a more conservative shirt and blazer

OMG, love that outfit. Agree with not that shirt (solid black would be okay; no translucency), and maybe the pants with either the dots or the checks. I'd go with a solid to be safe.

I am an old soul. I prefer no visible tattoos.

I think maybe an opaque tight may be a good idea - you can still wear a skirt or a dress suit like you like - and no one has to see your art :)

I don't own pants (two pairs of jeans are the exception), so I wear skirts all the time. You should go knee length if you're looking at a sheath style or a pencil skirt (or 1" above or below the knee), but you can get away with slightly shorter if it's a flare style, because you'll cover everything when you're sitting.

I think maybe an opaque tight may be a good idea - you can still wear a skirt or a dress suit like you like - and no one has to see your art :)

I don't own pants (two pairs of jeans are the exception), so I wear skirts all the time. You should go knee length if you're looking at a sheath style or a pencil skirt (or 1" above or below the knee), but you can get away with slightly shorter if it's a flare style, because you'll cover everything when you're sitting.

Same. I don't think any visible tattoos are appropriate... At one of my interviews though I saw some that we're plainly 'visible.':P

My gauge is the mental experiment, "will the old lady next door think I am professional in this get up?"

If it is hard to imagine, you can always ask a real old lady.

I'm thinking of wearing a turquoise blazer- thoughts? I was going to go with the traditional black suit but I just feel better with this. It'll be with black dress pants and a black or white top. It's all pretty conservative but is the colour too out there??

I'm not the interview fashion police by any standard, but I'm wearing an orangey-pinky blazer that I adore. The tag actually calls it neon orange. http://www.polyvore.com/interviews/collection?id=3400069

My gauge is the mental experiment, "will the old lady next door think I am professional in this get up?"

That's a good one... I tend to go with 'what would my grandparents think?', but that's pretty much the same thing. :)

HAHA, one old lady stopped me last summer when I was wearing a cardigan, striped blouse and floral skirt with pumps - "It's nice to know some young ladies still know how to dress!" Her suggestion was a bolder red lip ;)

• 4 years later...

Reviving this thread in the hopes that someone will see it and give me some advice!

I received my interview invitation a couple of days ago and immediately started prepping, but the thought of an outfit just crossed my mind today and now I can't stop thinking about it! I've since read a bunch of articles and many threads here on PM101 and there seems to be a general consensus that one should wear a solid suit, possibly with a pop of colour in the shirt. But here's the thing; that is just not me...

I am a bit of a shopaholic and putting together an outfit in the morning is one of my favourite parts of the day. I have a job that requires me to dress business casual so I'm accustomed to wearing professional outfits, but I don't own a formal suit nor do I have any interest in purchasing one. I'm going to buy a new outfit for the interview (obv!) but I'm really hoping I can put something less formal together and make it work. I'm a non-traditional applicant as it is (worked full-time throughout undergrad and not as much EC experience as others because of this) so I don't want to wreck my chances by standing out too much BUT I really want my personality to shine through. I normally wear a lot of colours and patterns so the thought of a boring pants suit is making me very sad.

I just purchased pants like these in a light grey: https://www.shape.com/shop/t-tahari-t-tahari-womens-plaid-karis-pant-black-white-8-p72fb6b3f7ead368c88917edd5a970fc5.html
I'm looking at shoes like these or similar: https://www.asos.com/new-look/new-look-patent-loafer/prd/10723139?clr=black&SearchQuery=&cid=13692&gridcolumn=1&gridrow=10&gridsize=4&pge=1&pgesize=72&totalstyles=87

And then I was thinking I'd wear a button up shirt (either white or a dark colour like forest green or a merlot) with a black blazer. 

Thoughts/suggestions??

Archived