Premed 101 Forums

Women's attire

• Replies 275
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 1 year later...

I know that alot of people have already put up an interview clothing threads but I want to start one up for females, since I'm really debating over what to wear and have gotten mixed advice on pants vs. skirts.

How many females are opting for skirts and how many for pants? If they are pants, how tight are the pants?

I was thinking of:

(a) a blazer, blouse and skirt with black flats

(B) pants, blouse and blazer with short heels

I'm worried that it might be too much (or even thought of as slightly distasteful) if I show up in a skirt and heels.

Also, should girls have their hair up or down? I have straight hair but feel like I look childish when it's pulled back in a ponytail, so I was thinking of cutting it medium length (right now it's quite long) and leaving it down.

Additionally, should we bring a purse with us to carry out keys and phone, or do we leave that somewhere?

Hey, I wore a pant suit to my interview, pants, blazer, blouse, short heels... I have friends who are taller that went with a pencil skirt and flats... Essentially if it's not revealing when you sit down then you're fine (assuming you're wearin black panty hose, don't go bare leg).

Aside from that it's what you're most comfortable in because interview day you should not be worrying about your outfit :)

Out of curiousity does your blouse have a collar?

I'm thinking of going shopping tonight. I think I may opt for pants although I already have a pencil skirt. I guess it depends on how much I want to spend.

Someone told me that the most formal would be to go with a whole suit. Is that necessary?

I honestly think you should just wear what makes you feel most comfortable. Personally I wore grey dress pants with a purple button down shirt and a grey jacket (not a full on suit jacket though). But I saw people with pants suits, skirt suits, all kinds of things. As long as you are comfortable and is some form of formal attire you will be fine.

As to your hair, I also had long-ish hair at the time. Personally, I put mine up in a clip because I felt that it looked more formal, and because I play with my hair a lot. If you do tend to toy with your hair a lot I would recommend putting it back to nip that in the bud. If you're not a big hair toyer, then whatever makes you feel most comfortable and relaxed will likely be just fine.

I'm worried that it might be too much (or even thought of as slightly distasteful) if I show up in a skirt and heels.

I saw lots of people in skirt + heels both the year I interviewed and while helping out last year. Wouldn't worry about it :)

(That said, ellorie's right: go with what makes you the most comfortable!)

It's totally fine to wear a skirt and heels (just make sure you can walk in them!!!!). I wore a pants suit, but I would say that the majority of women actually tend to wear skirts. And long hair is totally fine. Don't cut your hair just for a med school interview. Long or short, up or down, it doesn't really matter as long as you feel comfortable and you don't spend the whole time playing with it. :)

At my interview this past weekend, I noticed that most of the girls were wearing a blazer + pant suits. It was around 85% pants and 15% skirts. I wore a skirt suit and I was comfortable in that. I had dark thick black tights & I think this helped me feel as comfortable as I did.

My vote for you: where whatever makes you feel the most confident, classy and professional.

what kind of top (i.e. white collar shirt, colours) under the blazer is suitable? Thank you :)

I think this has been said over and over again but basically go with whatever top you feel most comfortable in :) A white collar shirt feels too bland in my opinion ... add a pop of colour under the basic black/grey suit to stand out from the crowd :D

not to be annoying since everyone said what makes you comfortable..but what is better:

full matching suit (which I have 2 of..)

the grey blazer from my suit with black suit pants (which i prefer)

It doesn't matter.

If you prefer the grey blazer and black pants, wear that.

K so here's a question: I noticed nobody mentions dresses. These days i see a lot of business attire dresses with blazers. What's the general opinion on that?

I like this look. Not sure why it's not seen at interviews more often. Perhaps people find purchasing separates more versatile?

I like this look. Not sure why it's not seen at interviews more often. Perhaps people find purchasing separates more versatile?

Or sometimes finding separates is easier than finding dresses.. I know I can't ever find a dress that fits me because I wear much wider on my shoulders than my waist. I do like the look as well though and wish I could wear it.

Archived