Premed 101 Forums

"safe number" of IM interview

Dany

As many as you can land. Don't take anything for granted. Sure you may decline to interview in Manitoba but then come 2nd interation time you'll be wishing you had when all that's left is SK and rural NFLD.

Sask < Manitoba??

are you just giving me an example or is it true?

as someone from the East, I srsly think they're about the same... except that Sask often has left overs after the 1st iteration.

any comments? :rolleyes:

• 2 weeks later...

There are always a couple spots left over, but not usually at the the larger centers. Best bet is to apply and rank everywhere you would consider going.

Consider that many people doing IM as a first choice have applied to 4 or more spots. Therefore, even with a 100% match to choice of specialty, only 25% of (total) applicants are getting offered a position at a given location. Differences in ranking between applicants mean that considerably more than 25% are actually getting their first choice though. Let's say it's 40% for people who want a "popular" location as their first choice and maybe 70+% for people wanting a less popular location. This is pretty relaxed competition compared to other residencies (and certainly better than med school admissions!!) but a fair bit more competitive than the "nearly 100% match rate" that gets thrown around suggests.

Because of this, it's a really good idea to apply to quite a few places. This also prevents a bad interview, cancelled flight, etc. from kicking you into the second round.

There are always a couple spots left over, but not usually at the the larger centers. Best bet is to apply and rank everywhere you would consider going.

Consider that many people doing IM as a first choice have applied to 4 or more spots. Therefore, even with a 100% match to choice of specialty, only 25% of (total) applicants are getting offered a position at a given location. Differences in ranking between applicants mean that considerably more than 25% are actually getting their first choice though. Let's say it's 40% for people who want a "popular" location as their first choice and maybe 70+% for people wanting a less popular location. This is pretty relaxed competition compared to other residencies (and certainly better than med school admissions!!) but a fair bit more competitive than the "nearly 100% match rate" that gets thrown around suggests.

Because of this, it's a really good idea to apply to quite a few places. This also prevents a bad interview, cancelled flight, etc. from kicking you into the second round.

hmmm you might get offers at several spots though - we are just automatically getting our top pick each time. In theory I suppose everyone in your example could be ranked at every school meaning that that school would accept that applicant. This is just a bit of splitting hairs, I think your main point is still important :)

Archived