Premed 101 Forums

UK Undergrad for Pre-med?

Hi everyone, this is my first time posting so I hope this is the right forum section. If it isn't please help redirect me to the proper position.

My current concern is which undergraduate school I should attend in the 2012-2013 year. My final goal after all the academia is to be a family practitioner in BC. Currently, I have been accepted into the following schools and need to choose between them.

Canada:

McGill - Immunology- with Major Entrance Scholarship

UBC - General Science - Waiting on Major Entrance Scholarship

UK:

Imperial College London - Biomedical Engineering - no scholarship I believe

University College London - Biomedical Science (basically a Pre-med course), Pharmacology, or Biochemistry - scholarship (10k per year) results are out in august, so don't know right now.

US:

Wait listed at my dream schools, but will wait just in case

I know that choosing a Canadian school will render my path onto medical school in Canada more straightforward, but I also want to explore international opportunities and make my IB mark worth awhile (possibly finish med in UK instead). Which choice would be wise for me to take? :confused:

To my mind, itis a no brainer and there is really nothing to think about. You want to practice in B.C. - so go to UBC period. Why complicate matters? It makes no sense to me. Your dream school in US is not relvant to anything. And even thinking of going to med school in the UK is beyond madness. Then, as an IMG, you will want to try to return to Canada to practice med in this climate. You seem to really want to go out of your way to create adventures for yourself that will only shoot yourself in the foot. I guess this is due to perhaps immaturity and wanting to have your cake and eat it too. Wonderful in theory, but be practical in your own best interests. Be careful what you wish for because it may become true - and then, you will have to live with the consequences that may be an entirely different story. My advice is to keep it simple.

I don't know what the in-province requirements are for McGill or UBC, but you could look into those. If you already meet IP for UBC, and if going to McGill for undergrad also gives you a chance at IP for that school, then I'd go to McGill. If not, then I'd go to UBC. Like everyone else I recommend you don't go to the UK unless you're ok with the chance of not being able to return to Canada to practice.

I did my undergrad in the UK (and master's in Canada) without any problem getting into a Canadian med school. I have dual citizenship.

You have to get your transcript validated through WES (World Education Services). As long as you go to an accredited UK uni, this shouldn't be a problem.

I would advise against UK medical schools unless you plan on staying there and practicing there. The structure of UK med school is quite different (you begin straight out of high school), and if you apply as a normal Canadian candidate (with an undergrad already) you may find it frustrating to re-do basic science courses over a 5 year degree. The other difference is generally in scope of practice/responsibility in the UK. As a Canadian medical student, I did an elective there and found it extremely frustrating as medical students there are allowed to do very little. It would be a much longer road to what would feel like productive and independent practice.

I loved the time I spent in England for my undergrad! It's a great choice (and just as good as Canadian schools) if you are planning on coming back to Canada for med school. WES is very fair in translating marks to the Canadian setting.

If you went to high school in BC and want some adventure, go to mcgill.

UK might be difficult, BUT it might actually be REALLY fun --> take every weekend off travelling around Europe --> wow that sorta makes me regret doing ugrad in montreal.

bottomline is, you just graduated highschool and you're thinking of med school.

Are you gonna let the goal of getting into med school control where you live, how you live your life?

or are you gonna take control and do everything you want and go to wherever you want while having some control over your grades, before getting into med school?

I personally like adventure and would go to UK and take my time travelling around europe while keeping up with grades etc, that said studying wasn't that a problem for me during my ugrad.

But i know that other people who like to stay local and keep the close relationships going (friends, family) and like seeing familiar things, would probably choose UBC.

Either way, you'll do well wherever you go as long as you put some work in. It's just a matter of how you want to live out the next few years of your life. Med school is sorta overrated.

Hi,

I agree with leescait. I did my undergrad and masters (solely research) in the UK and now am applying for med school here in Canada for next year. As it appears, my biggest challenge is to sit for MCAT (I have computer science background). WES (http://www.wes.org) can translate your UK degree into GPA equivalence, apparently. I haven't done this yet as it's too early but I asked UoT MD admissions and they tell me they get a lot of enginerring backgrounds and from UK also which is not a problem.

Personally, I think since your schools are in London, you've been given a very special opportunity. Go for it, if you can. However, do remember that London is expensive. So make sure you get well over 10K (in Pounds, I imagine?) for living costs.

And as a final note, why don't you check with the MD admission office of the school you prefer to go to before making a decision?

All the best and good luck!

Go where you think you would enjoy yourself the most. If you enjoy yourself, you're more likely to do well, and that the most important thing.

Besides you are young, you may change your mind about med school - I agree that you shouldn't let med school dictate your life. Do you really want to regret passing up such an interesting experience down the line?

At the end of the day, do what your gut tells you!

Who in their right mind would want to spend all their money to go to the Uk,only to come back and want to be a GP?:confused: Live in residence, do a term abroad ( i know at UofT you can go to UCL) and theirs a bit of adventure for you. The money you save going to a canadian school will allow you to travel to many places.

If you want to do the general premed at a foreign country, I don't understand how it will be better than Mcgill, UofT, UBC etc. If there isn't a special program that one of these "prestigious" schools offers than I think its pretty childish to go and spend all this money so you can come home and tell everyone where you went. But to each his own. No one here knows you and you already got your answer that going to the UK will not hinder your chances at med here. It comes down to how much money your family is willing to spend.

Hi everyone, this is my first time posting so I hope this is the right forum section. If it isn't please help redirect me to the proper position.

My current concern is which undergraduate school I should attend in the 2012-2013 year. My final goal after all the academia is to be a family practitioner in BC. Currently, I have been accepted into the following schools and need to choose between them.

Canada:

McGill - Immunology- with Major Entrance Scholarship

UBC - General Science - Waiting on Major Entrance Scholarship

UK:

Imperial College London - Biomedical Engineering - no scholarship I believe

University College London - Biomedical Science (basically a Pre-med course), Pharmacology, or Biochemistry - scholarship (10k per year) results are out in august, so don't know right now.

US:

Wait listed at my dream schools, but will wait just in case

I know that choosing a Canadian school will render my path onto medical school in Canada more straightforward, but I also want to explore international opportunities and make my IB mark worth awhile (possibly finish med in UK instead). Which choice would be wise for me to take? :confused:

I wonder why you didn't apply for medical schools in UK cause here is not like US-canada you can apply without having obtained GPA and all that!!!

If you were to ask me I wanna choose between those 3 in UK I would of told you : UCL but I am not sure if thats best for ya !! I am telling you from now even if you do the whole 3 years in UCL here in UK..noone (medical school) is gonna say its a big deal causee there are so much competition here (you get people who have done their A-levels and people who have done undergrad course competing with you) on top of that you there are so many people who got rejection this year and last year(like me!) applying again with improved qualification and work experience .. most schools are keen to take people who just done their A-levels! having said that I know a lot of undergrad who got into medical schools

Bottom line= you better of in canada-US cause if you finish your degree in UK I doubt you can go back to US-Canada and use your degree..don't quote me on that not too sure

Archived