Premed 101 Forums

Birmingham Med

Hello,

Just wondering if anyone floating around these forums attends Birmingham? I was surprised to get an interview invite and am looking for the Canadian student perspective on studying in the UK. Any information on the interview, acceptance chances as an international, and on residency opportunities for grads who are Canadians would be really helpful. 

Looking for help from any Canadians currently studying in the UK, especially anyone with info on Bham. Please PM me!

Thanks!

I'm a UK student from Canada but not at Birmingham. I think for interview you really should look at how Birmingham conducts its interviews, most schools will require you to go in person but some may allow you to do it over Skype. Either way, I would look into that. Congrats on the interview. I think residency chances are pretty bleak. You will be very lucky to get any residency position at all and you probably won't be able to be selective on your location or speciality, most of the spots are in family medicine with a select few in psych, internal medicine and peds. Even fewer for general surgery, ob/gyn and other specialities are almost impossible. The positive is that you can stay in the UK and do your residency even if you aren't an EU citizen. 

May I ask if you are a high school student or whether you are an undergrad/grad student? 

Archived