Premed 101 Forums

How's The Dating Scene At Mac Med?

Haha your chances are probably not as dismal as mine. Gay female here who doesn't drink or really like clubs. Where will I meet anyone......

~5% of the class is gay. Although they are mostly male.

I discussed OP in the car ride home from tutorial with my friends. Here are their thoughts:

"Abysmal"

"Everyone comes into med in a long term relationship"

Pretty true - as you would expect from a group of high achievers, most people are in a stable relationship (even the people you think are single) or want to remain single. However, there have been a few new relationships to start, as well as minor romances that fizzled out. Hope is there, but your best bet is outside of the program.

P.S. I hear TurkeyHasTryptophan is single and looking.

Drat. Being at a regional campus wouldn't help either, I bet...

I discussed OP in the car ride home from tutorial with my friends. Here are their thoughts:

"Abysmal"

Pretty true - as you would expect from a group of high achievers, most people are in a stable relationship (even the people you think are single) or want to remain single. However, there have been a few new relationships to start, as well as minor romances that fizzled out. Hope is there, but your best bet is outside of the program.

"Abysmal"

Lol well I'm not part of that 5% gay population, so Turkey won't do for me :P 

I don't get where so many med students meet people outside the program. Most of your time is spent with your classmates right? I guess undergrad. is an option but my undergrad. was full of people that looked and behaved like gollum. 

Where did you do your UG / what was it in? That doesn't sound very fun :P

I've met friends and stuff at the gym, clubs on campus, etc. but that's about it...

Lol well I'm not part of that 5% gay population, so Turkey won't do for me :P

I don't get where so many med students meet people outside the program. Most of your time is spent with your classmates right? I guess undergrad. is an option but my undergrad. was full of people that looked and behaved like gollum. 

People are everywhere, but cultivating relationships, whether romantic or platonic requires a lot of effort. Anywhere, but especially with the freedom offered by McMaster, it is very easy for things to pass by as you skip class and stick around the same small group of people. I would recommend spending as much time using what little opportunities are offered -- show up to classes, hang around in the lounge afterwards, study in HSL, stick around before and after tutorials to chat with people, ask for rides to places, go to social events if that is your thing. Cast a wide social net and keep your options open.

Pretty true - as you would expect from a group of high achievers, most people are in a stable relationship (even the people you think are single) or want to remain single.

I think this is true of all med schools and it makes me feel like I will be forever alone haha.

Archived