Premed 101 Forums

Us Med School Prerequisites-Do I Really Have To Take English And Physics?

I had a question regarding prerequisite courses for US med schools; what courses or what advice on courses can anyone give in particular to what courses are generally a necessity for applying to med school, because the thing is i do not want to take physics and especially english. Can I get into a US med school without taking english? What should I HAVE to take? 

Your response would be GREATLY APPRECIATED!

I had a question regarding prerequisite courses for US med schools; what courses or what advice on courses can anyone give in particular to what courses are generally a necessity for applying to med school, because the thing is i do not want to take physics and especially english. Can I get into a US med school without taking english? What should I HAVE to take? 

Your response would be GREATLY APPRECIATED!

What do you HAVE to take? Possibly nothing! What SHOULD you take? Probably everything you're trying to avoid. It's a school by school issue, which makes finding out prerequisites an extremely lengthy task. What you can do is look at the threads on this forum about US schools that are Canadian-friendly, and check out their prerequisites. Also, the prerequisites are simply required pre-matriculation. For physics I'd recommend taking it anyway because you'll have to write the MCAT, but english you could potentially take only if a school that requires it offers you an interview.

What do you HAVE to take? Possibly nothing! What SHOULD you take? Probably everything you're trying to avoid. It's a school by school issue, which makes finding out prerequisites an extremely lengthy task. What you can do is look at the threads on this forum about US schools that are Canadian-friendly, and check out their prerequisites. Also, the prerequisites are simply required pre-matriculation. For physics I'd recommend taking it anyway because you'll have to write the MCAT, but english you could potentially take only if a school that requires it offers you an interview.

So do you apply to American schools at the end of the third year? How can you take a university course (english) after you get an interview? Wouldn't they just reject you if you don't have the prerequisites? Thanks. 

So do you apply to American schools at the end of the third year? How can you take a university course (english) after you get an interview? Wouldn't they just reject you if you don't have the prerequisites? Thanks. 

Nope. You just have to find out the date by which the credit must be completed. For most schools it's either any time before you start med school or a designated date in the summer. You can get an acceptance that is conditional upon you completing missing prerequisites. Same thing for Canadian schools.

Archived