Premed 101 Forums

Mcat Scores - Should I Apply?

It is my understanding that unless you have extenuating circumstances that you describe in writing to U of T, the MCAT cutoffs are all 'hard' cutoffs and your application will not be reviewed. That being said, I would always call back and continue asking questions until you get a definitive answer from the school's admission office. 

If you have already written all of your essays, then apply - you only have the money to lose. 

However, I was in the same boat last year and I can tell you that if you still haven't written the essays, you should consider not applying because the chances are super slim! Unless you have a PhD with 10 pubs and cured cancer (this is a joke of course). If it's just money, then do it so you don't regret it afterwards. 

It is my understanding that unless you have extenuating circumstances that you describe in writing to U of T, the MCAT cutoffs are all 'hard' cutoffs and your application will not be reviewed. That being said, I would always call back and continue asking questions until you get a definitive answer from the school's admission office. 

Hey, 

Hard as the cutoffs may be, there's at least one person in our class who fell below the minimum in a section by a point and wound up getting in. If you think you're a strong candidate, you've got the essays written and you've got the money, I'd consider it worth it to apply...especially given that you heard it from the horse's mouth that they wouldn't de facto toss your app. Go for it!

P.S. I don't think they wrote an 'extenuating circumstance' essay either.

All I can say this is the 1st time they are using the new MCAT, so you never know, if for some reason people who wrote the new MCAT did not do so well, they might revisit the limits? Remember, lots of people took the MCAT multiple times last year just because they feared this new MCAT. So many of the applicants may be having the 9,9,9 formula applied to them...whereas the new MCAT might be a lot of younger / new / first time applicants who a) might be scoring lower if it is their first shot at the test B) might be using this as a "practice run" and applying in 3rd year and generally have lower stats...so you never know. If it is just one point on the new psych section I would still go for it.

I realize they get nearly 4000 applicants, I don't agree with their "process" as a school that wants to push diversity / innovation but may cut someone who has outstanding real world and hands-on skills over someone who perhaps memorized a bit better and got a 0.05 higher GPA (most docs I've encountered would have no clue what to prescribe if it were not for their pocketbooks or pharmacist, so not sure all this memorizing is equivalent to having other strong skills)...but hey, this is the kind of docs they want, so just apply broadly and be willing to relocate anywhere for your dream.

Archived