Premed 101 Forums

Is It A Bad Idea To Apply To Medical School As A Law Student?

This might be a really weird question but has it been done? I'm pretty sure I want to go to medical school however, in the event that I do not get in, I plan on attending law school rather than doing a masters degree like most. Is this a crazy idea that you would not recommend? Its just that I'm not particularly super interested in masters programs but in the event that med doesn't work out, I think I could do a lot with health law (i.e.: enter my first year of law and in the event that I don't like it - keep re-applying to medical school?)

What do you guys think? Any thoughts/pros/cons appreciated! :)

To answer your first question, yes it has been done. If you look at UofC's stats in the 2011 or 2012 application cycle there was one lawyer (i.e.. already has a law degree) that was accepted. I am sure there have been a few others across all schools in Canada or the pas few years but it is extremely rare.

We have someone that finished law before entering med school in my class, I'd imagine it's pretty difficult to get good grades in law school, and since it's an undergrad program you'd be submitting your law school marks along with your undergrad grades. If you have the grades to get into law school then med's probably also feasible for you, maybe you should try getting into med school before you go for law. 

NO NOT AT ALL - you should apply - I sat on application committees and having a well rounded application is the best thing you can do. I had a LLB in my class! 

Great questions!

Hey everyone,   that was a great diagram. I can't believe how much time it must have taken.

I'm an MD in Calgary and have suffered through the medical school application system. I applied 44 times over 8 years, and then after not taking advice form everyone, and doing some research and finding out the secrets, I decided to re-apply. I got in to Dalhousie in NS at 30 yrs of age, and graduated at 34. 

When I finished I knew I wanted to give back so that others don't suffer like I had to. Lost my father, had kids, so much happened along the way. The journey was wonderful - but would love to keep your journey to A LOT less years. 

I'm doing a book tour across Canada and the US - all free seminars - raising awareness for university students and parents. 

If you're interested check out my website - www.braidacademy.com - go to the "book page". 

You can buy my book on amazon, itunes, ibooks, kindle, from my website, or in person. 

I hope it helps and you won't have to go through what I had to. 

As you know there are over 25,000 applications that are rejected every year. I'd like for you to be one of the over 2200. 

All you need is a Goal, a plan, take action - and you will succeed. 

Good Luck everyone!

If you'd like me to do a free seminar in your town - let me know - info@braidacademy.com 

Please stop spamming and copy/pasting.

This might be a really weird question but has it been done? I'm pretty sure I want to go to medical school however, in the event that I do not get in, I plan on attending law school rather than doing a masters degree like most. Is this a crazy idea that you would not recommend? Its just that I'm not particularly super interested in masters programs but in the event that med doesn't work out, I think I could do a lot with health law (i.e.: enter my first year of law and in the event that I don't like it - keep re-applying to medical school?)

What do you guys think? Any thoughts/pros/cons appreciated! :)

Hi I am a lawyer and I applied last cycle. As far as I could gather, it seems like my law marks did not get included in OMSAS. They count it as a professional degree in a different category than undergrad. I'm not completely sure though. You'd need to confirm this of course, but if true, it's more about wasting a lot of money and time. Personal issues I guess. If time, money, and job search stress are not issues, law school is fun!

I had a classmate in med school who was a lawyer. I thought it was pretty cool. If law material floats your boat and the path lends itself well to med school applications, you should do it.

With a law degree, you stand to be sued less than your colleagues, in all probability, and will have something unique to offer when you're job hunting out of residency.

Before applying to law school (or at least before deciding whether to attend law school if you get an acceptance), make sure you have a good understanding about what different lawyers do on a daily basis - for example, the type of work, the hours, the stressors, etc. See if you can shadow and talk to someone you know about all the pros and cons of being a lawyer.

I'm a lawyer - unfortunately before deciding to go into law school, I didn't look into it sufficiently. 

Archived