Premed 101 Forums

First Degree Is Going To Haunt Me...

Hi everyone. I still have 4 schools left to hear from and I'm starting to get antsy. I'm mostly concerned because the school I want to go to the most looks at a "total cumulative GPA". My last 2 years (2nd undergraduate degree) is sitting at 3.92 I believe, but that first degree was 2.88... I'm sitting here freaking out because if they're going to look at that, I feel like I'm screwed. 

Anybody know how much stock they put in that cumulative GPA or if it's just there to see if there's an upward trend as you get through your degree???

Sorry for the rambles, thanks for listening.

Hi there,

I am assuming you are talking about the UofT? Based on the admissions podcast on their website, to be considered for a full file review, your GPA is just looked at as a number (I doubt they would look for trends before file reviews). They have an unpublished GPA cut-off that fluctuates depending on the applicant pool, and if you are below that cut-off GPA-wise, you don't get a file review. (Same goes for did you meet the MCAT cutoffs, get your references in on time, write the required essays, etc.) They said on their podcast that out of the 3400-ish applications they got last year, only about half went on for a full-file review. They said the only way to really get around a component like GPA being below par is with an academic explanation essay (they read them if you write one). There's no guarantee though, obviously.

Some other schools value upward trends, but you obviously have to get a file review for them to see that.

Hi everyone. I still have 4 schools left to hear from and I'm starting to get antsy. I'm mostly concerned because the school I want to go to the most looks at a "total cumulative GPA". My last 2 years (2nd undergraduate degree) is sitting at 3.92 I believe, but that first degree was 2.88... I'm sitting here freaking out because if they're going to look at that, I feel like I'm screwed. 

Anybody know how much stock they put in that cumulative GPA or if it's just there to see if there's an upward trend as you get through your degree???

Sorry for the rambles, thanks for listening.

I don't mean to cut you down or anything like that but I don't think you should be antsy at all. You've already got an interview from Dal and that's a lot more than the majority of applicants can achieve. To be a little nervous is normal but to be as paranoid as you appear may be a little over the top. Imagine if you had no interviews as I or many applicants do. Compound that with being in your 2nd + application cycle (a group which I am a part of) and you have yet to receive an interview. I'm assuming this is your first application cycle based on the age of your account. Anyways... what I'm trying to say is to relax. What's done is done and worrying about it isn't going to change the outcome at this point. Good luck!     

I am assuming you are talking about the UofT? 

More Queen's than U of T. When I spoke to U of T admissions in the Fall they had said it was the total number from both degrees. I may have misunderstood what they meant by that.

I only recently saw that Queen's has a cumulative and last-two-years GPA requirement and I guess I wasn't prepared to see that. 

For Queens, you will be fine. As long as one of the GPA's meets their cutoff, thats all that GPA will do for you and then they start looking at MCAT and EC's. So you will be fine for Queens in terms of your GPA. It will not hold you back. This question has been answered before by the way on here.

Archived