Premed 101 Forums

Md/phd Admissions Stats

Not sure about how many applicants or interviewees there are every year, but on the UofT's MD/PhD FAQ, it says up to 10 applicants are offered a position to the program. 

"Admissions Statistics

Each year, up to 10 applicants are offered positions in the program.

In a typical year, 73% have undergraduate degrees prior to applying (vs 13% with graduate degrees); 65% are male and 35% female; and 13% are previous U of T students, 80% are from other Canadian Universities, and 7% have attended university in the USA"

http://mdphd.utoronto.ca/prospective-students/frequently-asked-questions

Some stats are posted here on page 13: http://www.md.utoronto.ca/Assets/FacMed+Digital+Assets/Undergraduate+Medicine+Education+MD+Program/Vice+Dean+UME/UMPE+Annual+Report+(2013-2014).pdf

The 2015 - 2016 won't be published until next year. But I remember they interviewed just under 50 people last year and will give up to 13 offers. This means that if they only like 5 people out of the 50 they interview, they will only accept 5 people.

Those stats are in line with competitive MD/PhD programs in the US who interview about 5x the number of spots (often more). Keep in mind that if they have up to 10 spots, they may accept more than 10 (people might have multiple acceptances and decide to go elsewhere). MD/PhD training is very costly and schools have to be sure that you are dedicated to it and not using it as a backdoor to medicine. If you have strong research and motivations in line with the goals of physician-scientist training, then I think you have a good shot. I am currently going through the application process and this is just my personal opinion based on observations. Good luck!

Those stats are in line with competitive MD/PhD programs in the US who interview about 5x the number of spots (often more). Keep in mind that if they have up to 10 spots, they may accept more than 10 (people might have multiple acceptances and decide to go elsewhere). MD/PhD training is very costly and schools have to be sure that you are dedicated to it and not using it as a backdoor to medicine. If you have strong research and motivations in line with the goals of physician-scientist training, then I think you have a good shot. I am currently going through the application process and this is just my personal opinion based on observations. Good luck!

I'm in the process of applying as well and its very nerve-racking because this would really be an incredible program to be a part of, as I know they put a lot of money and effort into training these physician scientists. So I understand why there's such a limited number of spots, I just hope I can convey how much I want to be in the program D: Good luck to you too!

I'm in the process of applying as well and its very nerve-racking because this would really be an incredible program to be a part of, as I know they put a lot of money and effort into training these physician scientists. So I understand why there's such a limited number of spots, I just hope I can convey how much I want to be in the program D: Good luck to you too!

If you got invited for interview I'm sure you conveyed your motivations well in your essays. Just make sure you mirror that in person and also be very specific about why you would be a good fit for their program and how you can contribute to your class. Don't be nervous at interviews, try to enjoy the process, it's an opportunity to get to know the school and people there while selling yourself. Reputation isn't everything, you have to feel that you'd want to spend 8ish years of your life there!

Out of curiosity, does anyone here have MD/PhD interviews from both Ottawa and UofT? They happen to both be on Feb. 27th.

I emailed Ottawa to inquire about possibly changing the date, but they said that all of the MD/PhD interviews will happen on the 27th. I'm trying to get in touch with UofT to see if they could possible move it. Does anyone happen to know if UofT even has alternate days for the MD/PhD interviews?

Thanks in advance! 

Out of curiosity, does anyone here have MD/PhD interviews from both Ottawa and UofT? They happen to both be on Feb. 27th.

I emailed Ottawa to inquire about possibly changing the date, but they said that all of the MD/PhD interviews will happen on the 27th. I'm trying to get in touch with UofT to see if they could possible move it. Does anyone happen to know if UofT even has alternate days for the MD/PhD interviews?

Thanks in advance! 

March 12/13

Good luck to everyone. I hope to see you at either interview dates (the interviews are on Sunday, Feb. 28 and Sunday, March 13).

A few notes to clear up a bit of misinformation above:

- You cannot "transfer" into the MD/PhD program if you are accepted into just the MD program, you need to re-interview in your first year of MD. It's very hard and I know of only 2 people who have gained admission this way.

- We accepted 13 last year, it will probably be lower this year but there are no "hard cutoffs" on numbers i.e. a quota to fill. If only 5 applicants are found suitable then the class will only have 5 students that year.

Archived