Premed 101 Forums

Will Uoft Accept Late References?

100% strict, I am sorry to hear that. One of the reasons why references have from July 1st til now to submit it though. Should be fine for other schools though. You can always email them, but I don't think it'll be good news.

That sucksss. :( Do you think there's a point of even submitting an application and paying the fee for UofT then, or maybe they'll have something in their hearts and allow a late submission... I heard in previous years they say it's a hard deadline but they forgive if it's a few days late

On the U of T website, this is what is says: 

• Mailing in your letters: As October 1st is a Saturday, the University of Toronto will accept your regular reference/graduate supervisor/MDPhD letters as long as they are received by OMSAS by 4pm, Tuesday, October 4, 2016.
  • Online reference letters: These are still due on October 1st and must be received at OMSAS by this date.

I wonder if your references could mail the letter instead? 

On the U of T website, this is what is says: 

• Mailing in your letters: As October 1st is a Saturday, the University of Toronto will accept your regular reference/graduate supervisor/MDPhD letters as long as they are received by OMSAS by 4pm, Tuesday, October 4, 2016.
  • Online reference letters: These are still due on October 1st and must be received at OMSAS by this date.

I wonder if your references could mail the letter instead? 

I didn't consider that but I believe OMSAS says they can only either submit it online or via mail and I've already indicated that they will be submitting it online. Also the problem is that my referee is unresponsive and her email indicates she will be out of the office until Oct 4th so I don't even think it would get there on time if she mailed it on the day of.

I emailed OMSAS and asked if I could change my referee to someone else. I know a former supervisor who may be willing to bend over a bit and write a letter... I really don't want my UofT application to be disqualified over a late reference

I didn't consider that but I believe OMSAS says they can only either submit it online or via mail and I've already indicated that they will be submitting it online. Also the problem is that my referee is unresponsive and her email indicates she will be out of the office until Oct 4th so I don't even think it would get there on time if she mailed it on the day of.

I emailed OMSAS and asked if I could change my referee to someone else. I know a former supervisor who may be willing to bend over a bit and write a letter... I really don't want my UofT application to be disqualified over a late reference

Nothing is going to help now. Even I am in same situation, I called U ofT yesterday,and they said Oct,1 is the strict deadline for online submission.

So I emailed OMSAS for changing referee, they said no, once added I can't change it.

I think you have to drop U ofT, though I submitted in a hope that my supervisor would send the it :(

Nothing is going to help now. Even I am in same situation, I called U ofT yesterday,and they said Oct,1 is the strict deadline for online submission.

So I emailed OMSAS for changing referee, they said no, once added I can't change it.

I think you have to drop U ofT, though I submitted in a hope that my supervisor would send the it :(

Dude(tte), I emailed OMSAS earlier and asked them to reset the reference and they did it for me! I'm going to get my new reference to express mail it on Monday so it gets there by Tuesday 4pm deadline for hardcopy reference letter submissions... I hope UofT accepts it as their website says they will.

EDIT: I should note that I emailed them and changed it before I submitted my application. I think once you submit it, you can't change or reset the reference

• 1 month later...

Archived