Premed 101 Forums

Interview Invites & Regrets (2016/2017 App. Cycle)

TIME STAMP: Thursday, 10:42AM PT

Interview Invite: Invitation 
GPA: ~88%

MCAT: 516 (129/128/130/129)
ECs: Varied long-term commitments including undergrad TA, service clubs, sorority, lots of jobs including retail for 4 years, sports and volunteering at the hospital. Absolutely no research experience whatsoever (which I was worried about). I truly believe there is no formula for a high NAQ score and that doing things you are passionate about is the best thing you can do and the best way to keep a commitment long term (because you don't want to stop doing it for one). PM me if you want more info! 
Year: 4th year standing 

Geography: IP

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

TIME STAMP: Thurs, 10:42 AM
Interview Invite: Invited 
GPA: 78.6% 
AGPA (if applicable): 82.3% 
ECs: Publications, president of registered charitable organization supporting marginalized population, military service, researcher in Faculty of Medicine, traveling, started own business and made it to the news 5 times 
Year: BSc, 2009; MSc 2013

I needed a NAQ of 35, but I feel I have close to 40 (assumption). Message me if you'd like advice on how to improve your NAQ; it's more than having activities, it's also how your phrase the 350 character descriptions. My last application had an NAQ of 28, so it's improved by at least 7 points.

Ya, everyone on the 11am slot automatically gets a 50% increase to their score.

Jk, i was wondering the same thing in my year (I think 11am is most popular every year) and i think it's a combination of these 2 things:

-11am gives you enough time to get it over with early enough in the day, without having to wake up super early and rush to get there (if you're not a morning person)

-as more and more people choose 11am, people (like yourself) start to think there's something beneficial about it, and it's just a self-perpetuating cycle. 

Congrats to everyone who got an email today! :)

You got me wrong here. I dont think there is any benefit of any time unless its convenience. I interviewed once at 11 am and hated it for various reasons. Several people have been circulating an interesting interviewer mood theory here. Just curious what other people thought :)

Invited, happy to get the news! Never been to BC but excited to see the city! 

Anyone down to split hotel room with me to save on $$

TIME STAMP: Thurs, 1:43 PM

GPA: ~93%
MCAT: 36 (13/11/12)
ECs: Lots of jobs (hospital, pharma, community), actively involved in student union and undergraduate department (shaped curricula, led outreach events, etc), volunteer bike mechanic x5 years, Research experience in 3 different settings (no publications)

Year: BSc 2017 
Geography: OOP

First time applicant here; congratulations to all those others who got an interview! To those who didn't: don't give up! "Chin in, chest out," and all that sort of thing!

TIME STAMP: Thurs, 10:42 AM

GPA: ~92%
MCAT: 525 (130/132/131/132)
ECs: Three years volunteering in the Emergency Department at a local hospital (currently lead volunteer), three years tutoring refugees, an NSERC USRA, two posters, one year as a research assistant, one year at a youth drop-in centre, president of one club and executive for another, summer jobs teaching ESLI and teaching science to high school students, and a few other odd things like running and weightlifting.

Year: BSc 2017, BA 2017

Archived