Premed 101 Forums

Seeking Advice on Next Steps

Hey everyone,

I have been accepted into a couple masters programs (public health, health administration, global health) but from reading other forum posts and doing my own research, I've found that doing one of these programs won't help as much as taking extra undergraduate courses. As such, I was thinking about either doing a special masters program or additional coursework in general to boost my uGPA for Canadian schools and holistic American schools. I am just worried that taking classes this fall will make studying for my January MCAT difficult and lead to me getting a lower score. What do you all suggest I do? Are there any US SMPs or Canadian course based masters programs you would recommend? Any help/advice is greatly appreciated!!! 

For Canadian admissions, GPA can only be significantly improved through undergrad courses. So you're right about pursuing more course work as opposed to masters. I think you need to think carefully about going abroad. It is very very expensive and it can be difficult to come back to Canada (esp for ireland/aus/Caribbean). I wouldn't suggest these options unless you've at least tried to apply in Canada (for most, it takes more than 1 attempt to get in). In terms of your ECs, a lot will depend on how you present these. Many people with excellent profiles are rejected potentially because they may not present their accomplishments well on paper. So keep pursuing your ECs  and dedicate a lot of time to writing up the application. 

My personal recommendation would be to make Canada the focus for at least the next cycle. This means you should look into doing more undergrad courses. This also means that you can push the MCAT to the summer. I know this may probably be too late for the American cycle but like I said you need to think carefully about going abroad. If you are set on the January MCAT, it definitely will be a challenge to study for it while taking a full course load. 

Archived