Premed 101 Forums

Waitlist Movement

Hey everyone,

As May 8 approaches, I was wondering how waitlist movement works. Is the movement generally within the first few weeks or so? Is there also the possibility you could be waiting all the way til mid-August before getting accepted?

37 minutes ago, PD23 said:

Hey everyone,

As May 8 approaches, I was wondering how waitlist movement works. Is the movement generally within the first few weeks or so? Is there also the possibility you could be waiting all the way til mid-August before getting accepted?

The first round offers will go out May 8th, and then they give those people two weeks to respond. Most schools in ON don't start to send out waitlist offers until after the two weeks (with the exception of Mac who sends them out a bit earlier as first round applicants decline their offer and don't wait the entire two week period). Then the initial waitlist offers go out and people have one week to respond. After this, waitlist offers can come at any time though there is usually about a week between rounds of offers, but its less predictable. Schools send out an email when the class is full, but most offers are given out by the end of June (though it is not unheard of for people to be accepted off the waitlist as late as August or early September if there are openings.)

1 hour ago, m_jacob_45 said:

The first round offers will go out May 8th, and then they give those people two weeks to respond. Most schools in ON don't start to send out waitlist offers until after the two weeks (with the exception of Mac who sends them out a bit earlier as first round applicants decline their offer and don't wait the entire two week period). Then the initial waitlist offers go out and people have one week to respond. After this, waitlist offers can come at any time though there is usually about a week between rounds of offers, but its less predictable. Schools send out an email when the class is full, but most offers are given out by the end of June (though it is not unheard of for people to be accepted off the waitlist as late as August or early September if there are openings.)

This is unfortunate, because if you're lucky enough to have an offer and also a waitlist to a school you would prefer, you can't wait to find out if you will get in. 

22 minutes ago, Comprehensible said:

This is unfortunate, because if you're lucky enough to have an offer and also a waitlist to a school you would prefer, you can't wait to find out if you will get in. 

common problem - you wait as long as you can and hope it opens up. 

The only real solution to that is convert admissions to something like the CARMS algorithm - the entire thing would be decided on a single day with an optimal outcome for the candidates based their choices and rank. 

• 11 months later...
1 hour ago, jay55555 said:

I'm confused with above...

If on day one of release I have 1 offer(say mac) and 2 waitlist (say Tor & Queens), could the wait listed schools status change to  'offer' during the initial 2 wk decision period without me declining my initial offer of Mac?

Namely, if I dont select anything for 13 days in hope to increase offers and make a better I formed decision ?

The only school in Ontario (as far as I'm aware so somebody correct me if I'm wrong) that will send out offers before the date to respond to the initial round of offers is Mac, so for example, if you got into Ottawa initially and were waitlisted at Mac, there is a chance Mac would send you an offer before the deadline to respond to the Ottawa offer. Other schools will not send waitlist offers until the initial 2 week period to respond is over. 

Archived