Premed 101 Forums

Advice?

angelav

1. Will grade eleven and twelve high school physics and math be beneficial for the mcat? What are some courses I should take in university to prepare for the mcat? 

2. Best med schools in ontario and which require and which don’t require mcat

1. I would highly recommend both. Take math and physics and if the grades are lower than you'd like, simply don't include them in your top 6. Physics is on the MCAT and I have seen a lot of people struggle simply because they have no physics background. Taking math is less important but I still think it might be beneficial in terms of making you faster. 

2. There is no "best" medical school. There are many factors that will make or break a medical school for you and you should really try to get as many interviews as possible and then decide. Ottawa and NOSM are the 2 schools in Ontario that don't require the MCAT and Toronto uses it as a cut off (balanced 500 is all you need). 

1. Yes to both. Look at what the most common prereqs for med school are and that will tell you what will be useful for the MCAT. Plus maybe some intro psyc and sociology.

2. Just apply as widely as you can, in order to increase your chances for getting in. All med schools in Canada are highly reputable. If you're lucky enough to get to choose between multiple offers then location and the method of curriculum delivery are the major factors for a decision.

1. Yes, since physics is on the MCAT and the math involved in the MCAT is simple but you can't use a calculator. If you're doing a science degree in university, you'll likely be required to take calculus (which often doesn't allow for calculators) and physics. High school physics and math helps you prepare for university level physics and math. Med schools won't see your high school marks so that is the time to get exposed to some more difficult subjects, instead of seeing them for the first time during university.

2. Depending on if you write your MCAT earlier during you Bsc degree, remember that you can rewrite it if you aren't satisfied with the score and didn't get into the non-MCAT schools that you applied to

Archived