Premed 101 Forums

The lighter side of medschool

Guest drfunkmd03

Guest drfunkmd03

The following may ruffle some feathers. Be forwarned.

K, so I'm 22, just got into medschool, but not ready to study 24/7. few questions:

1) Do you have time for a social life?? In more detail, can I still go out friday and saturday nights (and get slammed to the point where sunday is absolutely shot in terms of studying). Any suggestions people have for being able to do this still? (one good one i have heard is to cut stupid activities like watching tv which burn time like there is no tomorrow and provide absolutely nothing in terms of a benefit)

2) Any nice ladies going into 1st year med??

3) Does the med class have any fun activites like camping trips or anything to ease the stress of school??

4) Do you all think I am a moron now? Well, I got in (no waiting list or anything, just straight up) and I am incredibly serious about becoming a competent and personable physician that can contribute greatly to the province. At the same time tho, I do enjoy having fun, and am wondering if my youth years are now over because of the steps I have taken.

All comments are welcome! Please reply!!!

Guest kosmo14

I personally think you are going in with a good attitude. Just because you got into med school doesn't mean your life is over. For the first year you can easily enjoy it, have a social life, and enjoy some extracurricular activities while doing decent in school. Unlike quite a few of my classmates I didn't study 24/7, I was lucky to study an hour a day even during exam time, and I still came out of first year in good shape, and not burned out like some I know. If you attend class and pay attention during the day, you definitely need to study less in the evening. That being said, I wouldn't let the social side of things completely consume your time, as I have seen some have a hard time coping at final exam time due to an illustrious social life. Its all about balance, and time management. Don't let those hardcore studiers fool you into believing you need to study all the time in order to become a good doctor.

Yes, there are a lot of social functions and sports to get involved in that ease the stress of medical school. You will think after the first three weeks that is what med school is all about because you will see so many sign up sheets and functions that are happening. There weren't any camping trips this year, but if you want to plan one I am sure you will get quite a few people wanting to go.

That's my 2 cents, others may have a different view.

Guest saskmedman

I think a social life is actually an essential part of being a med student. I know of several examples from my class of people who completely isolate themselves from the rest of the world and study non-stop, and through my position of authority I happen to know that those people who live like that do not do as well in school as one would think they should from the amount of studying.

Guest therealcrackers

You're going to find people in med school who cover the spectrum of neuroticism. And a whole lot of other spectra too. The minimum time allotted for exam studying at Western was usually about 3 weeks: there were some who started at 7-9 weeks, some never stopped except for summer break! We had the world's greatest silly sport to relax, tho... co-ed innertube waterpolo! The med school had enough people interested, both in the game and in checking out their classmates in swim gear, to fill up five teams; almost a whole division! And the teams were named the Mysterious Warm Spots, Ana Sarca She's Swell, Rectum? Damn near killed 'Em!, the Love Boat, and The Human Head Weighs 10 pounds. One team was content to organize matching bathing suits and played to win win win; one team played in nearly matching Hawaiian shirts!

Med school is a rare institution: a tightly knit (if not always close) group of very bright young people with a common goal and purpose. And many of them are attractive for more than just their brains (having seen med school classes for 3 years, and at FSS in Quebec...) ;) . Think of the possibilities that presents! And the fun you can have along the way as long as the balance stays intact. Beware the dangers of class-cest, for it can work spectacularly well or blow up spectacularly badly and in public.

Some of the best jokers are med students; chances to let your creativity out abound. And if they don't, make 'em! There's only so many bars you can go to, so many books you can fall asleep in the middle of. Finding something fun and interesting in the middle sound like what you're looking for.

Good luck!

Guest Jerika81

Hey drfunkmd03,

I can't speak from personal experience at U of S, but I can tell you that we just wrapped up our O-week at U of C and I think it was the craziest and most fun 3 days straight that I've ever had. And we've been assured that although we have to start classes on Monday, the fun will continue for years to come. I am in a similar situation to you starting at 21 and not willing to give up my social life, and at U of C I certainly won't have to, it looks like I'll even be expanding it, and I'm sure most Canadian med schools are similar, although I imagine U of C might be at one end of a spectrum and perhaps U of T at another (based purely on stereotypes though so don't take my word for it).

As for your question on the ladies, all I can say is that our med school class appears above averagely good looking compared to a cross-section of the general population, mainly I think because everyone looks like healthy and active people-probably good qualities to have in a doc. So I'm sure you will find many nice ladies, but dating within your class may not be a good thing!!:D

Good Luck at U of S

Archived