Premed 101 Forums

Research and Internship Courses and 2Y GPA?

Im about to enter my 4th year of university in september. I've taken several research courses where I help my supervisor on a project and have an end of term paper assignment. I am also planning on taking courses where I get clinical placements in the field plus regular assignments and tests. I get a numerical grade at the end of all of these courses, and they're all considered 3rd or 4th year undergrad courses. Is Queens okay with these for the 2ygpa? I am specially worried about the reasearch questions after reading this under their application process: " Degree programs or individual courses are not considered a factor in the calculation of GPAs." What does that mean? Any help is appreciated. 

Thank you!

To be eligible for wGPA at Queen's, you have to have full course loads. If I'm not wrong, they don't have a year requirement like Western, but in any case your level of courses seems fine. Your research courses won't be treated any different than other courses as long as you get a numerical grade. The statement means that an A on the hardest course/program is treated equally as an A in a bird course, ie they don't take the context into account

Yes, that quote just means that they're not going to look into the difficulty of the course. And as long as you get an actual grade (ie not pass/fail), it'll count for your wGPA as long as you're taking 3 courses per semester/6 courses per year between Sept-April. 

Oh ok, that's good to know, thank you to both! Though some of the clinical placement courses have me volunteer at a hospital/school/clinic over the entire year as part of my numerical grade. I can always mention those experiences in my autobiographical sketch, right?

• 7 months later...
On 6/11/2018 at 9:29 PM, helicase said:

Yes, that quote just means that they're not going to look into the difficulty of the course. And as long as you get an actual grade (ie not pass/fail), it'll count for your wGPA as long as you're taking 3 courses per semester/6 courses per year between Sept-April. 

Are 3 courses per semester equivaIent to 9 credits ? I studied in Quebec. 

Also, about the sentence  "There is no requirement for full-time study, however only the cumulative GPA will be calculated for those not enrolled in full-time study" (from the admissions website). So here, it means that those who did less than the equivalent of 3 courses per semester (in any of the last 2 years of undergrad studies) will not have a last 2 years cumulative GPA calculated?

Thanks !!

Not sure if that matters? You would just be enrolled in 3 separate courses. 

Your wGPA would be based on the last two years where you were full time. So I believe if your final year you had less than a full course load, your wGPA would not include those courses. 

Archived