Premed 101 Forums

pre-decision stress

Guest vpe

thought i'd just start a new topic for this one. always super-anal about tangents...

<!--EZCODE QUOTE START--><blockquote>Quote:<hr>

hey guys

are you feeling nervous as the date of adcom meeting is coming closer (14th right?). it'd be great to listen in/read what all you guys are thinking in these few days since expressing your frustrations/emotions i think can help you guys

a) get closer as friends

B) help a discussion going, whcih this specific board seems to really lack!

so come on guys!!!

btw: thanks for your really nice comments there crang. i really hope all you guys get into med!

<hr></blockquote><!--EZCODE QUOTE END-->

maybe if the weather was a bit nicer lately it'd be easier to keep my mind off of med-school stuff. but looking at the stress on the ontario boards, i think we're all taking it pretty well. then again, there's still a few more days for people (ie. me) to start freaking out... anyone have any de-stress tips? a good run in the park usually works for me. guess i'll see how good it really is come this weekend.

anyways, bonne chance everyone!

Guest princejr13

Hi,

Nice to see someone finally speak out on the sask forum cuz lately its been kinda dead. I guess the lack of action on this board could be chalked up to increasing levels of nerves among us as our d-day approaches. So how is everyone? I am OK I guess, at work time flies, but at home time drags, so yesterday I took some work home with me .... I know I know that's not good. I know that all the remaining applicants from in-province have a pretty good chance at getting in, but nothing is ever guaranteed. This is especially true if one passes the interview with only a 16 out of 24. That'll really get you thinking eh?!?! Can someone please reply and share how you are coping with the stress.

Thanx

<!--EZCODE QUOTE START--><blockquote>Quote:<hr> This is especially true if one passes the interview with only a 16 out of 24<hr></blockquote><!--EZCODE QUOTE END-->

ack! let the freaking out begin...

Guest Melissa13

Hey guys,

Just thought I would lend some moral support...hang in there it's almost over and hopefully it will be good news for you both. In the mean time, go out....get out of your houses away from this forum and hang out with your friends for a while. It was the only thing that kept me sane on d-day here in Ontario (May 31). Take this opportunity to call up a buddy that you keep thinking you should call and go out for coffee...well maybe some non-caffeine type drink would be better. Best of Luck, keep me posted, Melissa

I am so stressed right now. No one ever seems to tell you actually how many out of province applicants are still in the running and how many spots are available. At least the in prov applicants know they have a fighting chance....

Guest monkey

someone posted in another thread about 25-30 ppl for OOP were competing. and considering 2 (me and melissa13) passed the interview and are planning to go elsewhere, the competition for OOP spots drops dramatically. i wouldnt stress too much now MC. u did great on the interview (u passed it didnt u?!), and now all that matters is when do you get the letter. i have a sneaking feeling UofS doesnt tell any OOP students they've been rejected...until the spots have been filled. not to sound mean but ppl would prefer to go elsewhere than UofS...tho i dont really understand why: the curriculum is good and they provide lots of patient contact in 1st yr. so yea, just go out for a BBQ, walk, run and enjoy the wonderful weather. if that doesnt work drink drink DRINK my friend! LOL! :D

Guest missing Manitoba

Like Melissa13 and Monkey, I also passed the interview but have been accepted elsewhere. At this stage, I suspect your chances are very good :) ; all of the OOP peeps I spoke to on the day of the interview had at least one other interview. Based on in-province acceptance rates, the ones from Manitoba and Alberta specifically (each of whom interviewed at their "home" schools) have a solid shot at home province acceptances. I agree with Monkey -- I don't see USask sending out a lot of OOP rejections.

GOOD LUCK!!!

I'm from Calgary and applied to UofA and UofS. Had interviews in both places and I'm still

waiting to see what they think. I don't know if my chances are good in either place

right now... How about you?

Guest monkey

thats awesome stuff you getting interviews at both places! i am assuming you didnt apply to UC...just wanted to know whether it was b/c u didnt like the program or something. that's the main reason i didnt apply to UC...i am also waiting to hear from UA and UofS like you, and i do hope everything works out for the best! :)

did you just finish 3rd year? or grad work? i just finished 3rd yr...

btw: you can never tell how you did in an interview, so i am sure your chances are good for both places!!! i honestly thought i bombed the UofS interview but was pleasantly surprised with a letter telling me i passed. so yea, try not to think negatively, even though its very nerve-wracking not to think otherwise!

Guest princejr13

Just want to get your thoughts on how you would compare and contrast the interview you had at the U of S with those at other places. I only applied to the U of S so I don't have a feel for the interview style of other schools. Would you say that the U of S interview was of similar difficulty to other schools at which you interviewed, or would you say that it was easier? I am especially interested in the style and difficulty of the interviews at U of A, U of C and U of M (the prairie schools).

Thanx

Guest missing Manitoba

I found my USask interview more comfortable and laid back than my U of A and U of M interviews. Whereas the preset questions in the latter two interviews gave them a somewhat interrogational feel, the more freestyle nature of the USask interview allowed for a more conversational tone. I also found that I was able to steer the USask interview toward my strengths, which had not been possible in either of my other prairie interviews.

Another major difference between USask and the other two interviews was the "blank slate" aspect to it. Because both Alberta and Manitoba had access to considerable information on me ahead of time in the form of resumes and essays, I felt that the interviewers already had some preconceived ideas of who/what I was. At USask, on the other hand, I genuinely felt that I was making a *first* impression. To a certain extent, that made the USask interview more comfortable.

In terms of the questions asked, at Alberta, I was asked very "Alberta-y" questions -- i.e. pretend in you're in this situation as a physician - what would you do? I wasn't asked anything about the Alberta healthcare system, but apparently others were. There were also some questions based on my resume/essay.

At Manitoba, I had a wide variety of questions, most of them based on my autobiographical essay. Because of the way Manitoba interviews are scored (there are a number of categories, such as outgoingness and "judgmental-ness", in which an individual score is given, giving rise, upon addition, to an overall interview score), the questions seem to be geared to filling in the score boxes.

As far as the interviewers themselves went, I would rate them in the order: 1. Sask; 2. Alberta; 3. Manitoba. The interviewers at USask seemed very friendly and outgoing. They weren't blank slates simply absorbing my answers. For example, when I was asked what book I had last read, I quite honestly replied that it was "Horton Hatches the Egg". One of my interviewers then admitted that she too was a big Dr. Seuss fan, which led to a short exhcange on Dr. Seuss books. The responses from the panel gave the interview a more conversational feel. My Alberta panel was also willing to share a bit of themselves in the interview; however, my Manitoba panel, while friendly, was somewhat brickwall-esque. They would ask a question; I would answer. They would then either probe my answer further or move on to the next question.

I hope this answers your question. :) And, good luck! Is the admissions committee meeting today or tomorrow?

Guest princejr13

Missing Manitoba,

Thanks for your detailed reply. The admissions committe meets today (June 14). AAAARRRRGGGHHHH!!!!!!!

Guest missing Manitoba

Hi princejr,

I have my fingers solidly crossed for you and all the others awaiting an acceptance. Best of luck! :D

Guest monkey

BEST OF LUCK YOU GUYS! the weekend will be gone before u know it and when monday comes.. u guys will have fat juicy acceptance envelopes sitting at your doorstops. :lol

keep it together for 2 more days!!! :)

Archived