Premed 101 Forums

Question about Canadian USMGs applying through CARMS

Hi all,

I am currently a second year Canadian student at a mid-to-low tier U.S. medical school, and I have been doing some research on USMGs applying through ERAS and CARMS.

I have been looking at previous years match data for Canadian students at my school, and the vast majority of them matched at U.S. residencies instead of Canadian residencies.

Also, for the Canadian students at my school that matched at Canadian residencies, the overwhelming majority of them matched into Family Medicine. 

Is it very difficult for Canadian USMGs to match into anything other than Family Medicine? (Like, say, Internal Medicine, Pediatrics, etc.).

How is it difficult for them to match into a field like, say, Internal Medicine, that had "unfilled spots" just last year? Why aren't the USMGs matching into the "unfilled spots" in the 1st iteration, etc.? (It seems that, even though there were "unfilled spots" in Internal Medicine last year in CARMS, the vast majority of Canadian students at my school had to do US residencies on a J1 visa, which sends them back to Canada afterwards).

I would love some clarity on these points so I can understand how this works exactly. 

Thank-you in advance!

• 10 months later...

I'm assuming you're talking USMD (competitive R1 match with CMGs) and not USDO (compete with IMGs, very tight).

Match determinations in Canada are based primarily on soft factors.  Canadians do not sit standardized test like the USMLE prior to the match process.  There is no mechanism for comparing a USMD to a Canadian objectively so scores and grades tend to just get thrown out. Family is an exception to that rule where the size of the applicant pool neccessiates some type of quantitative sorting (though I've no idea how they go about that).

Most specialties dont rank very deeply and would much prefer a spot go unfilled than take someone they're unsure about.  Programs rely on the second round to deal with match irregularities which, of course, runs after ERAS has completed removing USMDs who may have been available.

Unfortunately, my experience on match committees is that even USMDs from very high profile schools are seen as red-flagged prima fascia just because they are seeking a position in Canada.  There's a stigma about it based in Canadian psychology and misperceptions of the size, scope, and accessibility of the US training system.

US applicants also--for whatever structural reasons--seem to present applications with fewer known references and less Canadian experience.  It usually gives an impression (despite the known mechanics of the match process) that USMDs are backing up in Canada. 

Overall insight into Canadian USMDs is very limited at Canadian programs.  I think the problem is mostly self perpetuating. 

On 8/13/2019 at 8:51 AM, jnuts said:

I'm assuming you're talking USMD (competitive R1 match with CMGs) and not USDO (compete with IMGs, very tight).

Match determinations in Canada are based primarily on soft factors.  Canadians do not sit standardized test like the USMLE prior to the match process.  There is no mechanism for comparing a USMD to a Canadian objectively so scores and grades tend to just get thrown out. Family is an exception to that rule where the size of the applicant pool neccessiates some type of quantitative sorting (though I've no idea how they go about that).

Most specialties dont rank very deeply and would much prefer a spot go unfilled than take someone they're unsure about.  Programs rely on the second round to deal with match irregularities which, of course, runs after ERAS has completed removing USMDs who may have been available.

Unfortunately, my experience on match committees is that even USMDs from very high profile schools are seen as red-flagged prima fascia just because they are seeking a position in Canada.  There's a stigma about it based in Canadian psychology and misperceptions of the size, scope, and accessibility of the US training system.

US applicants also--for whatever structural reasons--seem to present applications with fewer known references and less Canadian experience.  It usually gives an impression (despite the known mechanics of the match process) that USMDs are backing up in Canada. 

Overall insight into Canadian USMDs is very limited at Canadian programs.  I think the problem is mostly self perpetuating. 

i second this....i remember at my UWO interview - one of the first questions they asked was -- do you see patients as a medical student