Premed 101 Forums

May: The Month of Truth

Guest TS

Hey Everyone,

Over the past few weeks, the messages on this board have been highly directed towards statistics. I just want to let everyone know that the past is what it is: the past. Every year is a new year for this medical school. If you read any of the archives, you can bear witness to the countless changes that have occured even over the past 3 years or so. GPA and MCAT requirements have fluctuated; furthermore, the number of seats has increased and the demographics of the class have also changed. A prime example of this is that in 2002 there were 90 (give or take a few) third year students in the first year class. Last year, there were only 27. All this in the past two to three years. As for this year, it is really hard to guage the direction that admissions has taken. That being said, statistics are useless. As I have said in the past, you were granted an interview for a reason. Whether it be GPA or extracurriculars, everyone is different and you cannot even begin to compare one situation to the next. You really have no idea how any applicants stake up against you, as statistics are superficial and really do not paint the total picture of the applicant. Just be confident in yourself and continue to work hard in school or wherever you may be. May will be an interesting month and it really will not be long before we know who the lucky OT9's are.

I apologize for the rant, but I just felt like this board needed a change in direction. People are very quick to point out their accomplishments, but let's not forget that everyone is essentially equal. It is great that you were involved in x number of activities and have this particular GPA, but so does the next person. Instead of trying to stack yourself up against the competition, how about we engage in conversations about how life as a University of Toronto medical student will be like if we get a chance to attend. How about discussing past experiences in your path to medicine, or even the lack of hockey this year. But please, spare everyone the agony of looking at anymore statistics, it isn't healthy for yourself or for other people. Competition at this point only generates enemies. You will find out in just over a month. Good luck to all.

TS

:) Good post TS.

First let me say that my post about figuring out the GPA wasn't meant to be something used to fuel competition or to compare people. Thinking about it now it obviously DOES reflect that but while *trying* to study, my mind wanders, and one of those meandering thoughts lead to me wondering how they figure things out and I just wanted to understand the process better, but like I said in that thread, I realize it's a fruitless effort.

So... how bout them raptors and jays?? Both win tonight!

Hello again!!

OT6, my post was not in any shape or form the result of your previous post. I have no idea which post you are referring to, but that should go to show you that it was not directed towards you. It was just a general feeling that I have had for the past week or so.

As for the Raptors, well, there is always next year. Hopefully, if I have the chance to live in Toronto, I will be able to go out and attend a few games.

TS

Okay, you commented in my other thread so I thought it might have been partially directed at me :)

Soooo.. how bout them raptors and jays?? They both lost huge! LOL TS where are you from? I'm HOPING the raps have a better product next year, I miss going to NBA playoff games so much. Heck I miss going to ANY professional playoff game (Argos don't count :P ).

Guest skofu

does anyone wonder if the 2005-06 NHL season will actually start on time? i have a feeling that the owners might hold off to avoid paying the players for the whole year, and then start in january or so to ensure that they make their playoff money.

and what are the odds of canada winning the WC without the superstars (except brodeur, thornton and souray. okay, and jovanovski)?

I'm trying really hard to avoid reviewing a manuscript before submission because I’m really sick of looking at it!

I'm also worried about the prospect of no (NHL) hockey next season. I hope they don't hold out because of financial issues. Whatever happened to the love of the game?

Canada's still got a great team, even though all those players declined to join. The defensive core is pretty solid (apart from Souray and Jovanovski, they also have Regehr, Redden, and Hannan in there too), and the forwards have proven their effectiveness in past international play (Draper and Doan, Smyth and Gagne, etc. I don't remember all the players at the moment). Sure, it could be better, but I think the players they have now should mesh well. I'm excited

Guest skofu

Yeah, there's a good defensive core - which should be great against teams like Sweden - but I'm a little concerned about goal scoring (only three goals against Latvia? okay, the jet lag was a factor...).

You have to admit, while names like Regehr, Redden, Hannan, and Smyth are noteworthy (hell, even without the stars, the whole roster is still noteworthy), it's hardly the same as Yzerman, Lecavalier, St Louis, Lemieux, Sakic, Iginla, and Richards. Though the younger players opting out (i.e. Lecavalier, St Louis) are similar to the fantastic younger defensive players (Regehr, Hannan) in that they have not been big names for long, their credentials really set them apart: St Louis won the Hart Memorial Trophy, and the Lester B. Pearson Trophy last year (yikes), and Lecavalier was the World Cup MVP from the fall.

It's kind of like having Crosby not play on the U18 team. Although I give the US team credit - with the exception of the jerk who crosschecked Colton Yellowhorn, they played quite well in the final, and their goalie was amazing - adding Crosby to the Canadian roster would have made things quite a bit different I think. Imagine the USA roster without Kessel.

I guess time will tell. It's really great chance for young players to step up and show what they can do in a pressure situation. Here's hoping we see big things from Gagne, Heatley, Thorton and particularly 21-year-old ( ! ) Nash.

s.

ps: on the topic of Regehr, who I really like, what about the Regehr/Phaneuf combo that'll be in place in Calgary next season - that's going to be impressive in a year or two. Dion Phaneuf is a monster in the making.

Yeah, I was a little surprised they only scored 3 goals against Latvia of all teams, but I figure they're just getting their bearings and learning to play with each other.

It is disappointing all those "superstars" opted not to play (though I'm sure many had their reasons), but it's a testament to the depth of talent Canada has that they can still put out such a great team. Even some of the young'uns have already shown their stuff under pressure, and they've got the undisputed #1 goalie (IMHO) in the world backing them up.

I wish we (Leafs) had Regehr and Phaneuf.. Roberts up front, Phaneuf behind. That'd be great. I'm glad Phaneuf didn't go to Jersey. Goodness, can you imagine that, a D line of Phaneuf and Stevens. They'd have to call it the Pain Train or something.

But I like Regehr too. It's too bad the Flames couldn't quite pull off the Cup win last year, but maybe next year (whenever that ends up being). Hope Kiprusoff can maintain the magic.

Guest skofu

The fact that team Canada can go without the 7 biggest names and still have an exceptional roster really says something about the players coming from this country, I agree. and yeah, having Brodeur backstopping them is huge - because no matter what Roy says, Brodeur is the best of the best now. he'll break a decent number of Roy's records in time.

While we're on the topic of goalies, what's with the insane playoff run goalies not coming up with even halfway decent performances in following years? first it was Theodore, then JS Giguere - we'll see what happens with both Khabibulin and Kippersoff. Kippersoff seems like a pretty cool character, so maybe the pressure won't affect him too much next season.

Toronto could certainly do with the likes of Phaneuf. Their defence sucks! But I have to say that I'd rather see Phaneuf playing for my team - although what they'll really need next year is a bigger centre on the first or second line. Which team is this? I'll give you a hint: I was a little league goalie from 85-90, when I started following them. I also get harassed a lot by my friends at playoff time and I live here in TO. you get 3 - no, better make that 2 - guesses.

s.

Guest studentz

The entire Leafs team will be in trouble whenever the league gets back. Not only will they be (somehow) older, but Gary's plan to save the franchises that never should have been will severely change the way the leafs compete, and we all know they've been much better at buying success than drafting it. Oh well, at least I can see the cup at the hall.:rolleyes

Guest skofu

y'know, i was actually thinking that it might work out better for toronto with the salary cap.

every year toronto managment says: "this is the year - we have to give the fans a good playoff run and at least make it to the final" and what do they do? they trade away all the good young kids (or draft picks) for old dying players like nolan. now, nolan's good, but he's going to be in an old age home in a year or two. ditto brian leetch (okay, maybe he's got a few years in him). for owen nolan, the leafs traded alyn mccauley (and someone else, as i recall), who then went on to be the 3rd highest scorer for the sharks in 03-04. I was sure that they were going to trade away stajan in the leetch deal, but they didn't. maybe sanity is starting to prevail in the managment.

and how far do they get? 1st, maybe 2nd round, pretty consistently. so maybe if they can't do that anymore because of the cap, they'll actually let the team develop for a year or so and then it might actually get decent.

but maybe not. maybe they'll just really really suck with the cap.

Yeah, it's true, Nolan didn't work out too well (which was disappointing, because I kinda like him, he did well with the Sharks), and then just when he seemed to be generating some chemistry with Antropov, he went and got injured. But Leetch has worked out pretty well, I think. I honestly don't even remember what we gave up to get him.

I think the Leafs could make it past the second round if they would stop matching up against those darned Flyers. >: Just like how the Sens might go further if they didn't always match with us :D

Guest studentz

The flyers always draft well...don't they have that Mike Richards kid from Kitchener who's leading the OHL in playoff scoring? The flyers are to toronto what the leafs are to the sens...damn flyers.

Yeah, I hate those Flyers now. Enough to cheer for the Patriots in the Super Bowl, even though I originally thought Donovan McNabb was a cool guy and all. Darrrn Flyers.

The playoff scoring lead might be changing soon, given that it looks like the Knights are going to knock out Kitchener soon (a newspaper I was reading even said a Knights win in their next game was "expected"!) :)

Guest skofu

Yeah Philly is the thorn in the side of all Toronto hockey fans. but there's no question that Tampa would have destroyed toronto - they have amazing offence and toronto's D (or lack thereof) would have provided only token resistance. Philly's bigger, badder, rougher and tougher, but tampa still offed them, albeit in 7 games. I figure they could have taken Toronto in 4 or 5.

I didn't know the flyers drafted mike richards. have they drafted most of their talent? i wonder if Danny Syvret (Knights) is going to get drafted next year, because he's certainly made a case for himself this year as a stellar defenceman. i'd like to see the habs (my team - not the sens, who are useless in my opinion) take him, as the second line defence needs help. But they really need a strong center on the second line - or maybe even the first, although i'm not big on replacing Saku Koviu, since, well, the guy overcame cancer to get where he is, and he's pretty damn talented to boot. Hmmm.... maybe they can get Kessel or Crosby somehow...

Danny Syvret's OHL career makes me think (or maybe just hope) that in my mid 20's maybe i can still somehow become a decent player (I usually play left D - and I suck pretty bad). you guys play?

and isn't a Knights win almost always "expected" - statistically anyway...

s.

Guest studentz

Yeah I play, I wasn't AAA as a kid or anything but I love the game and played for Vic in my undergrad at Toronto. If I end up at UofT, I'd definitely have to lace em up for the Meds side to play against the old college. Vics uni's were nice one year though. They got the team Canada logo and colours and put Victoria on the front.

It's true, Tampa would've walked over Toronto, but at least it wouldn't have been Philly again :rollin

I play a bit, defense, but roller hockey, with some buddies from high-school in a noncompetitive league. I can't skate that well (not that I can 'blade that well either); every time I hit the rink, I have to relearn how to hockey-stop. A friend of mine can "hockey-stop" on blades, it's pretty awesome. He is, of course, infinitely better than I am.

Even though the Knights are pretty heavily favoured to win, I think it's rare for the media to state in such a matter-of-fact way. Even during international hockey games, when Canada's up by 3 with 2 minutes to go and have been dominating all game long, the announcers often refuse to admit the game is won it seems. Though I guess the result last night somewhat justifies the statement.

Looks like there's no need to worry about the young'uns at the World Championship, Nash lit up Latvia for a hat trick :D

Guest studentz

Our goaltending and D wasn't great though. 4 goals against Latvia? We'll get lit up if we play the Russians and Americans like that, but Brodeur will rebound.

About the hockey stop thing on rollerblades...you just need good wheels. It's still pretty difficult, but much easier if you have hockey skates and the proper roller hockey wheels. I don't know anyone that can do that without them.

Guest bt99

We'll just pretend those were mental lapses.. all 4 of them :rollin At least they've got another game against Slovenia to work out the kinks.

It's true, most people I play with just use the wheels that come with their blades. That might be why.. I have hockey-style blades, but last time I tried getting roller hockey wheels, they made it worse (speed and traction wise). Maybe because they were $5 each.. maybe.. :)

Guest skofu

Yeah, the D was bad. and the goaltending was dodgy for the best man in the world between the pipes.

not to try to excuse them (the D lines really need better chemistry - apart from Hannan/Redden) but part of it was probably two things beyond their control: 1) bad ice. particularly a problem for a goalie who likes to play the puck. 2) bad penalties. i don't like to whine about this, but some of the things they got penalized for were not penalties. canada plays a tough game, so it's disappointing to see the refs calling clean hard hits charging or elbowing.

hopefully the D will gel better in coming games. all told, I can't complain to much. Nash was a machine, and the top line is looking pretty stellar. the only problem with 4 goals against in that game is something might come down to a goal differential later in the tournament.

i'm looking forward to tuesday...

s.

oh yeah: people can hockey stop on rollerblades? damn... i've never played on 'blades. i can't get used to the ball not sliding like a puck does on ice.

Guest studentz

They have "pucks" that glide over the surface (if it's an "official" roller hockey surface) or pucks with rollers in them that work almost the same way. It is a bit different if you're playing with those street hockey balls or the good old tennis balls.

Hey all,

I figured since I started this thread, I may as well contribute to it. As for roller hockey, it is true that the type of wheel is important in order to stop as though you were on ice skates; however, the playing surface is also important. I have been playing roller hockey for several years and usually we play on special surfaces that are alot more "slippery." It is not pavement, but I have no idea what it is. Anyways, with the right type of wheel and the right surface, it is only a matter of time before you adjust.

This is interesting that so many of you have played or attempted to play roller hockey in the past. The physician in my interview had actually informed me that the medical school at Toronto has a roller hockey team. Maybe one day we will all meet on blades!!!

Best of Luck

TS

Guest skofu

How much alike are ice hockey and roller hockey? is rollerhockey as good, without the bitterly cold weather to boot? i play pickup outside a lot in winter, and man it's hard to get motivated to get to the rink when it's -15 to -20!

when they asked me if I had any questions in my interview, i first asked how good the hockey team was to get an idea of whether or not I'd be good enough to play on meds if I got in (i told them I'm pretty bad). I followed it up with a question about PBL and a few others about the curriculum just to be safe... heh heh...

Guest studentz

Hey,

Hockey is one of the most popular intramurals at Toronto and there are usually 3-5 divisions. I-III are usually contact, with I being just a step below varsity...well not anymore, they have a tri-campus team which is just below varsity, but it's still really competitive.

The lower divisions are "no-hitting" and anyone can play. Best part is, you don't have to pay a cent, it's included in your athletic fees. Varsity's change rooms suck and if the team doesn't buy its own unis, the programs uniforms are disgusting. It's still great fun though!

Roller hockey is horrible if it's played on the cement base of an arena rather than the proper surface. The floor "sweats" and it can actually get a bit dangerous since you can't really stop suddenly if going into the corners hard.

This thread proves all the people interested in Toronto aren't gunners. This is one of the few non-academic ones on the whole board!!

Guest bt99

Yeah, I guess it depends where you play (roller hockey). I play in an uptown (non-competitive) league which has 5 tiers/divisions (organised by skill level). It's all "non-contact" (as far as I know, though there's still a lot of shoving. Body-checking is fairly strictly penalised though), with required equipment and all (cup, helmet, gloves, shin pads, hockey pants, maybe elbow pads. In order of importance, naturally :lol ), and runs in May-June (there's also a July-August season I think, but it's already sweltering hot in May-June, I can't even imagine what it'd be like in July-August). They also has a (summer) ice hockey league. Here's the website if you're interested: www.torontoinline.com Though I guess since UofT's intramurals are free..

I think my friend might even be able to hockey stop on the asphalt surface (street roads). I wouldn't put it past him.

Looks like the boys put in a stronger game yesterday at least. I didn't get a chance to watch it unfortunately. I wish I didn't have to study (cram) for exams..

Archived