Premed 101 Forums

Best UBC PreMed Programs?

Hi All! For those who are at UBC, any recommendation on which program to take to hopefully get into UBC med? I hear a lot of "don't take a hard program like biomed because you'll suffer" but also "take something your intersted in" and "anything that can get you a high GPA" I actually have a great interest in biology/anatomy/chemistry which is why I like medicine so much. Any advice on a BIO related program that is "easier" to get into and also not torturous to get a high GPA while also meeting prerequisites? I know its quite a tall order but any input from med or premed students would be appreciated! 

Cheers,

Victor

I think it makes sense to take a program that you're very interested in, despite its difficulty, because you will ultimately excel within it as your interest will be your motivation/drive to do well.  However, it also makes sense to not pick a very difficult program such that you can have the time to focus on your ECs that interest you.

I recommend you read more about Combined Majors in Science (https://cms.science.ubc.ca).  This program essentially combines three disciplines of your choice, from chemistry, life sciences, earth & environmental sciences, physics, astronomy, math, computer science, and statistics.  I think you can also choose other disciplines in science, so that you come up with your own unique program.  There's also Integrated Sciences (https://intsci.ubc.ca) which integrates two different disciplines.  The good thing about these majors is that you'll have flexibility, and also they're a little more specific than a general science degree/program.  I personally did CMS and combined chemistry, life sciences, and math – I enjoyed it and could sustain a good GPA while balancing my time with my ECs.

Psychology is a lot of fun. If you're good at biology/anatomy/chemistry the BSc (behavioural neuroscience) track might be worth checking out. I'm on the BA side of things though. Psyc 314 and 462 are really interesting. Psychology at UBC is not exactly a walk in the park after year 2 though but a lot of them have 3% bonus credit options for participating in research studies which for me has meant the difference between getting a B+ or A- or A- and A. Food for thought.

23 hours ago, Neurophiliac said:

I recommend you read more about Combined Majors in Science (https://cms.science.ubc.ca).  This program essentially combines three disciplines of your choice, from chemistry, life sciences, earth & environmental sciences, physics, astronomy, math, computer science, and statistics.  I think you can also choose other disciplines in science, so that you come up with your own unique program.  There's also Integrated Sciences (https://intsci.ubc.ca) which integrates two different disciplines. 

Thanks I'll definetly look into those and they sound like just what I need. What degree will you be graduating with?...Can you choose or is it chosen for you

45 minutes ago, VictorLin0725 said:

Thanks I'll definetly look into those and they sound like just what I need. What degree will you be graduating with?...Can you choose or is it chosen for you

You're welcome!  They are both majors in science.  So, you'll be graduating with a BSc with a major in CMS or Integrated Sciences.  As for the disciplines, you can definitely choose your own.  Like I mentioned above for CMS, the choices include chemistry, life sciences, earth & environmental sciences, physics, astronomy, math, computer science, and statistics.  But, you can also choose a discipline in science that is not included in the choices they provide.  For Integrated Sciences, you can choose any 2 disciplines and combine them.  I don't know much about Integrated Sciences personally, but I think CMS gives you more of a structure to follow (for example, if you choose chemistry as one choice, they give you a list that includes required and elective courses).

Archived