Premed 101 Forums

Tips on getting a research position

mkd

Hi everyone! I was just wondering if anyone could please help me/ give me advice on how to get a research position. For the past couple of months i have been applying to different research volunteer positions available at uni, as well as applying to different hospital research volunteer programs. But I'm having no luck, and I've applied to numerous positions! Its getting very discouraging so any tips/advise would be greatly appreciated!! 

You could try reaching out to profs of classes you took, preferably ones that you did very well in. For hospitals, some of them preferentially select candidates from people already volunteering at their hospital. You could also look into whether your school as a work-study program and if there is an RA position available. If you're not hearing back from your applications, might want to visit your school's career counsellor and have them look over your resume. Try to tailor your resume for each job's description. Good luck and probably just takes some persistence.

On the flip side, I had zero research experience during undergrad and it was not an impediment to acceptance to med school. I did not pursue research in med school and that was not an impediment to do a competitive surgical residency. I have conducted research during residency, have many publications and my lack of prior research experience was not an impediment to my research. Just saying.

Archived