Premed 101 Forums

W or WDR?

Guest dogeatdog12

Guest dogeatdog12

has anyone ever dropped a course before after the deadline and seen a W or WDR? I might have to do it for personal reasons, and I was just wondering if that's a major obstacle on my transcript. I don't personally like to have it, and I will do my best to avoid it. So if it best to avoid the W or WDR, I would appreciate your help.

thanks

Guest dogeatdog12

please tell me what it was about. How did they seem when they told you?

sorry I don't mean to get personal about it. It's just I might have to drop a course for health reasons. However, if I mention about the WDR or W, I am afraid the health issues will come up and I will be looked down upon.

sorry about this.

They just asked why I had dropped the course - it was a pretty neutral question. I told them that I decided not to take it because there was a death in the family and I had other responsibilities that took priority. They segued into questions about coping with death, etc.

Personally, I don't think that dropping a course is a big deal as long as it's not a pattern.

Guest dogeatdog12

Hi Peachy

thanks for replying. You've been too kind, and very helpful. What I am worried is when I am asked during an interview (or ever), they will segway into.

What is your illness? do you think it will hurt you in medical school?

I can answer those questions but I think they will doubt me no matter what I say.

Prior to this year, I have never even thought about dropping a course. So I don't think it's a pattern.

what's worse, dropping a course or having a low mark on a transcript?

If you don't have a full courseload without this course, and it's going to affect whether you can use weighting schemes when applying, then my opinion would be to stick with it and try your best to get at least 60%.

If this course doesn't affect whether you can use weighting schemes, and is going to pull down your GPA significantly, then my opinion would be to drop it and take the W.

Those are, of course, my personal opinions. Other factors, like if the extra stress of this course is impacting on your health, may be more important at this point in your life! Are you going to do much worse in your other courses if you stay in this one? That would be a very good reason to drop it.

If I were you, I really wouldn't worry right now about coming up with a good answer to the "Why did you drop that course" question. Chances are, you won't even be asked it. (Most schools, it seems, don't even have access to your transcript during the interview). And on the off chance that you are asked it, you really aren't required to go into specific details about your illness. It is possible to be honest without telling interviewers things that are private and really not their business!

Archived