Premed 101 Forums

to my fellow OT8ers

Guest Nightriders19

Guest getitonthefloor

Okay people,

Now you've got me curious as to who I may have bumped into on my interview weekend. I interviewed on Saturday, March 27th in the morning at 11:00am. Who was with me? C'mon, there's gotta be someone!

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Nightriders19

Hey, that's fantastic that you're in at U of T, dr. deelish!

Sorry 'bout the little misunderstanding there :)

Guess I'll be seeing you at the pre-O-week get-together then!

Congrats!

Guest gonzo23

Hey UBCclem...

Sorry this is a little out of topic for the thread...

Yup it's me. That beer drinking class was fantastic. You picked a good day to show up to our classes (if only all my classes could have been like that one)!

Congrats to you on UBC as well!

And for OT8ers... I'm up for a pre-O-week shindig as well!

Lates!

Guest ILoveGod

Greetings Folks!!!

As of this Past Tuesday, I am an official UofT-OT8. It looks like OT8 will be an awsome class....I am convocating from UofT next week and things are looking great...Just last week, at this time, I had no clue what I'd be doing this September, but everything is happening like a dream....I am so excited and looks like our class will be GRRR88888!!!!!

Looking forward to O-Week where we can all meet...If a pre-O-Week outing is organized....hey, count me in!!! See you all very soon,

God Bless

Guest Teemster

Ahhh!!!

I was just reviewing the preclerkship and clerkship curricula...Oh my god...We'll be learning to take histories, do physical exams as early as September...Hell, by 4th year we'll be following surgeons into the O.R. This is it! This is real! We're gonna be doctors!

I apologize for this ridiculous post, but it just hit me...I'm gonna be a doc!

:eek

Teemster

Guest ILoveGod

Hey Teemster,

I know exactly what you mean. I was sleeping and it's now 4:30am. The excitement of starting medicine in August woke me up. This is truly very exciting. We have every right to be as we worked very hard to get to this stage. So be as excited as you can be. The feelings of this summer, I will never forget!!!:)

Guest Bleepo

Hehe .. I know what you all mean ... it feels weird too because this was my goal and dream for so long and now that it's actually come true, I feel at a loss ...hehe ..what to do to keep myself busy for 3 months?? =P

On the otherhand, one thing that has been bothering me about UT is I've heard a lot of negative comments on the class size and how it's more impersonal than the other med schools, and also how students are still rather competitive. Any thoughts on this? I wish I could be all positive .. but just something that's been bothering me and preventing me from signing the dotted line on my acceptance.... :rolleyes

Guest ILoveGod

Dear Bleepo,

The "competition" that a lot are talking about depends totally on the people. I am sure there are people who just do not change their competitive methods from undergrad and then there are people who totally become relaxed when they go into medicine. An advantage of having such a large class is that you will find a whole array of people; some who are competitive, some who are not and some who are in between. The key I think is to find people who you are compatible with and I am sure that in such a big class, that should not be a problem.

Personally, I love having a big class because it will give me a chance to meet more people and make more friends. The friends we will make this year will last forever and the diversity we have at this school will give us an opportunity to make great friends!!!

I hope you do choose UofT! You seem to be the type of person who would make for a great friend!!!:)

Guest gonzo23

Hey Bleepo...

Well UT was my only choice so I'm elated to go there :) But I guess we can never know how the class dynamics will turn out. From the looks of this thread we have a lot of excited sociable people in OT8!

I guess my goal for next year is to meet as many people as possible and try to stay away from any coldness/competitiveness I might encounter. An experience is what you make if it right? There will always be a mix of personality types in every class at every school.

As a plus I know a few people in upper years at UT and they have been happy with their experience.

Guest Teemster

Hey Bleepo,

I don't fare too well around competition either...When I entered U of T undergrad, I was told that U of T life science classes were large and impersonal and filled with overzealous and competitive individuals. Well, my experience has been the total opposite. Everyone I've interacted with thus far has been friendly, cooperative, and eager to help if I ever needed help. I'm hoping that U of T's med school will be more of the same. I strongly believe that our experience will be what we make of it. If you and I are cooperative, that bodes well. I'm sure we can find others as well.

I hope you will choose U of T,

Teemster

Guest CTU24

Thought I'd add my two sense...

I used to be concerned w/ this competiveness/large class scenario but this has really diminished this past year. Many of the students I know in U of T meds are extremely laid back and relaxed when it comes to med school grades...and they also say that the competiveness they worried about does not really exist. It terms of the class size, I agree w/ others that it has more strengths than weaknesses. Learning medicine requires you to form relationships w/ different doctors to gain from different perspectives and experiences. The large class size will provide more opportunities for these types of interaction which will hopefully extend into our professional lives as well.

On a separate line of thought, w/ U of T's H/P/F system grades really play little importance. Do you think people w/ 2-3 more Hs that another will really get first crack at a given specialty? I don't...at this point we're all pretty damn smart...it's how we interact with our colleagues and patients that will determine our success now. And for the record, I promise not to fight over the hepatitis case if you won't.

Rest easy, I think you'll find you're worrying about nothing.

Oh and by the way, MY post definitely beat all of your posts don't you think? (I kill me sometimes)

CTU24

Guest Bleepo

Thx everyone for calming my worries a bit. This is the biggest decision of my life and it's such a relief to have help in making it! I am a lot more confident in making my decision to go to UT. I'm glad so many of you share my sentiments. If the people in our class are like the people on this board, I think I'll feel quite at home. :) I'm really looking forward to meeting all of you.

ILoveGod - Re: "You seem to be the type of person who would make for a great friend!!" ... so do you! :)

Is everyone in this thread from TO? Maybe we can all get together before O-week!

Guest PaniDoktor

I'm from Ottawa and I'm so excited about this that I'd actually come down to TO if I wasn't leaving for Europe in 3 days!

H.

Guest dr deelish

I was thinking to myself .. given the dynamic nature of all the people in our OT8 class as demonstrated by posts on this board .. shouldn't we share the love with the rest of the world?

McMaster students have a show called "Med Students" I'm sure most of you know about it .. if not, check out Life Network (channel 41 in the GTA) Monday night at 9 pm. Now, if McMaster students can pull off a show .. we sure as hell can. Further, given the diversity of this class, I'm sure ours will be much more interesting. We can call it "Real Med Students" and air it on Fox ... or take over the Thursday night void left by Friends on NBC ..

Am I right on this? :rollin

Guest CTU24

I don't think we're edgy enough for FOX...

Their type of show would be about the med school admissions process, except it would be like Survivor or American Idol.

I do think we could hack NBC...but I think we shuold hold out for The Comedy Network

CTU24

Guest Ollie

I have a nice little bruise on my arm from getting blood drawn, and a bit of a pain in the other arm from the poke with the needle for one of the vaccines. But ahhhh, what a nice pain it is..... :lol

Man if I am this excited about getting needles stuck in my arm, how I am going to make it through the next 2+ months??

Guest Teemster

Yes, yes a lovely pain indeed...

I was vaccinated at the U of T health services centre...I couldn't wipe the smile off my face as they jabbed those needles into my arm...(Hmm, jab sounds too harsh...Really, they didn't hurt AT ALL!)...Then, I struck up a little conversation with the doctor. He went to Ottawa U and loved his med school years. Ah...We spoke as colleagues...What fun!

Teemster

Guest mydream88

I can't beleive it's already been a week living with the news!

When people ask me if I'm nervous about attending U of T meds I respond with a resounding "noway, I am way too excited"!

I am still not over this news,

mydream88:D

p.s. I hope so much you waitlisters can join us soon, the class will not be the same without you :\

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Deepti Damaraju

Hey OT8s!!

All this posting inspired me to write!! I think I'm the only person on this entire board using their real name...it's just too hard these days to remember 12 obscure usernames and passwords for random boards and chats that you sign up for and forget about later :)

Well, I wonder if anyone remembers me! I interviewed March 29, and (I'll add this just for fun), I was wearing a black suit with a pink shirt. I'm also east indian, and I'm from Edmonton, which means NO ONE is allowed to complain about the cold winters in Toronto!!

I'm also thinking about Chestnut this year...it seems like a good way to ease into the med student lifestyle. I can't believe how far I'll be moving from home!!

I'm really excited to meet all of you at O-week! I'm also obsessed with hockey, so if any of you want to hang out and watch the World Cup, that would be awesome!!

Cheers!

Deepti

Guest Adamanda

Count me in for watching the world cup...huge hockey fan and it might be are only hockey for awhile if the NHL doesn't sort out the CBA>:

Amanda

Guest Nikhila

i also am OBSESSED with hockey... i'm such a huge fan that i sprained my ankle cheering for my hockey team during the nhl playoffs last season! i'm totally down with watching world cup hockey

nikhila :)

Archived