Premed 101 Forums

Bursary Email / Schulich Scholarship

11 minutes ago, Vivieeeeeee said:

Interesting. I sent my stuff to Western in early July so I did not receive such an email. But I feel you on the shock factor - still no official letter of acceptance (I feel there just isn't going to be one at this point) and then you receive this type of stuff.

Did you get a full or partial health clearance?

2 minutes ago, SmartfoodLover said:

Curious by what you mean when you say no official letter? Wasn't the letter of acceptance the one sent out with our offers of admission?

That's the conditional one stating you will be accepted only if you meet all the conditions in the checklist. When I applied to LOC with Scotiabank I had a bit of trouble because the manager would not take that as a letter of acceptance as "it is not final and formal, it's only conditional, who knows if you're actually in the school" and apparently people have scammed banks this way before.

Just now, Vivieeeeeee said:

That's the conditional one stating you will be accepted only if you meet all the conditions in the checklist. When I applied to LOC with Scotiabank I had a bit of trouble because the manager would not take that as a letter of acceptance as "it is not final and formal, it's only conditional, who knows if you're actually in the school" and apparently people have scammed banks this way before.

Oh, that's so strange - were you able to receive a letter of enrollment though after your deposit went through? I had no issues with CIBC LOC after contacting admissions and being sent a letter of enrollment specifying that I would begin studying Sept 2019. It's a shame people previously took advantage of that "loophole" for a line of credit... Anyway, I feel they would've contacted us at this point if we no longer qualified for our positions, particularly if we received health clearance and submitted police checks.

1 minute ago, SmartfoodLover said:

Oh, that's so strange - were you able to receive a letter of enrollment though after your deposit went through? I had no issues with CIBC LOC after contacting admissions and being sent a letter of enrollment specifying that I would begin studying Sept 2019. It's a shame people previously took advantage of that "loophole" for a line of credit... Anyway, I feel they would've contacted us at this point if we no longer qualified for our positions, particularly if we received health clearance and submitted police checks.

See, I have not received that yet. I am wondering if it's because I left out the amount of my bursary that they told to deduct from the first installment. Imma call the school like right now yikes

Just now, Vivieeeeeee said:

See, I have not received that yet. I am wondering if it's because I left out the amount of my bursary that they told to deduct from the first installment. Imma call the school like right now yikes

Ah, sorry to freak you out -  I should've specified that I had to request a letter of enrollment, but was only able to receive after my deposit was accepted. I emailed the admissions email with my OMSAS number, name, and projected start date and they provided one really quickly (within a business day). Wouldn't hurt to call, but I'm sure you're all good :) - 

4 minutes ago, SmartfoodLover said:

Ah, sorry to freak you out -  I should've specified that I had to request a letter of enrollment, but was only able to receive after my deposit was accepted. I emailed the admissions email with my OMSAS number, name, and projected start date and they provided one really quickly (within a business day). Wouldn't hurt to call, but I'm sure you're all good :) - 

Thank you and don't worry it's not your fault - I am paranoid about this kind of stuff because we all moved to London for my schooling and if something goes wrong it would be devastating for my parents. There was nobody on the line so I emailed :) It's nice to have that confirmation for sure. Thanks again!

On 8/14/2019 at 3:26 PM, Vivieeeeeee said:

ha they have, and that annoyingly has added complications. Still it doesn't take much to meet their requirements. 

1 hour ago, rmorelan said:

ha they have, and that annoyingly has added complications. Still it doesn't take much to meet their requirements. 

Yeah my manager still gave me the LOC without any problems but expressed a strong interest in me updating her with an official letter at the earliest convenience. It did freak me out at the signing though

11 hours ago, Vivieeeeeee said:

Yeah my manager still gave me the LOC without any problems but expressed a strong interest in me updating her with an official letter at the earliest convenience. It did freak me out at the signing though

well if you are one of the LOC people who manages to lose the bank a huge pile of money because you didn't wait for a simple piece of paper and some one ran off ha, there goes your career. Would make me nervous :)