Premed 101 Forums

Verifier questions

Hi,

I have some questions about verifiers for a few of my ABS entries.

1. I have worked at my family-run business and wanted to know if its okay to add my parents as a verifier. We had no other employees besides my parents and my brother. 

2. Recently, my brother and myself started a start-up business at home (not registered, just out of the house) and wanted to know if its okay to add my brother as a verifier?

Thanks.

13 hours ago, MDCoach2010 said:

I would just make sure that you have other verifiers as well. If theses are your only verifiers it will seem that you do not have enough people to ask. Parents and family members are biased of course and as an evaluator, I would want to see verifiers who are as objective as possible!

Thanks. I'll look for some more objective verifiers. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
30 minutes ago, Frederick Sanger said:

See if you can find someone who knows about this business and ask them to be your verifier. They may not even look at those entries if the person is related to you. 

True. I was thinking of getting into contact with the accountant that helps us w/taxes. 

In these situations, I don't think you need to take these measures to find a different verifier. If it's a family-run business and your parents are owners. Just put one of their names down and in the comments (where I usually write the positions), put down Owner of business. It's better to have someone that can actually prove you put in that many hours of work. I know they mentioned "no friends or families". But in these situations, you are not family. You are professionally, co-workers. They just don't want people to get their family members to verfier random info like "oh ya my son is in that club about saving the environment". 

14 minutes ago, petitmonstre111 said:

In the case of a current employer who is not aware that you are applying to medical school (i.e. current career), what are some reasonable options?

Are you afraid to tell them that you are applying? Most people will be (and should be) happy for you. And if they are your best option, it would be a shame not to use them!

2 hours ago, petitmonstre111 said:

It may jeopardize my current career yes, not every industry is very forgiving of knowing you do not plan on sticking out for the long run (I am coming from a non healthcare field). If they have to choose between promoting you (knowing you are applying to med and they are effectively a plan B.) and someone else, they will pick the other individual. 

Given how competitive medical school is in Canada, it would not be to my advantage to disclose to a current employer

Do you have any coworkers? They could be a verifier.