Premed 101 Forums

Capacity to Work With Others?

Hello, I am struggling with choosing which category to list Model UN participation in. Intuitively I feel like it should be in Capacity to Work With Others but is this category reserved for activities related to special needs group? I'm interested to know what everyone thinks falls into this category. I also work in a very diverse/interdisciplinary research group, but it seems to be unfit for Capacity to Work with Others due to the people I work with being, well, co-workers. 

29 minutes ago, macmade said:

but is this category reserved for activities related to special needs group?

No, it is not. Anything with teamwork, etc. can go here if you think it’s relevant and is the best fit category.

If it’s your job that should go under the employment section. But you can mention the fact that you work on a diverse team in the description. 

1 minute ago, frenchpress said:

No, it is not. Anything with teamwork, etc. can go here if you think it’s relevant and is the best fit category.

If it’s your job that should go under the employment section. But you can mention the fact that you work on a diverse team in the description. 

Wow cool if it's true. Did you do this in your own application and it was fine or do you have a source for this? Would you say Model UN participation and award befit capacity to work with others?

11 minutes ago, macmade said:

Wow cool if it's true. Did you do this in your own application and it was fine or do you have a source for this? Would you say Model UN participation and award befit capacity to work with others?

From the help guide: 

“Capacity to Work with Others: This category recognizes applicants’ abilities to work with groups which take them beyond their peers, friends, school and co-workers. Consideration is given to an applicant’s experience and knowledge gained from working with groups and individuals including, but not limited to, customer service teams, diverse age groups, cultures different from one’s own (immersion), socio-economic backgrounds other than one’s own, individuals with physical, cognitive or developmental disabilities, sexual orientations, etc.

The category is about working with others outside of your typical peer and family groups and showing that you have some experience getting outside your own bubble. This can include people from special needs groups, sure, but it’s not limited to that. So your model UN might very well be a good fit, but it’s up to you to figure out what about the experience has helped you grow and demonstrates your ability to work with others outside your usual peers.