Premed 101 Forums

Structuring abbreviated ABS

Hello everyone,

Can anyone who went through the process enlighten me as to whether your essays were more elaborate and 'artsy' in a sense, or whether you simply listed the 3 items and wrote concretely what you learned? I find that there is not enough space to add that much stylistic fluff and I only have space to write exactly what I did and learned. I'm not sure though if that would make my essays a little bland, or whether it's just conciseness and clearness they're looking for. As well, for the 'description of activity you did' is it acceptable to write only 1-2 sentences? I'm finding that if I write a whole paragraph just about what I did in the beginning I lack space to have more substance in the 3 items. 

As well, what structure would be recommended for these types of essays? Should there be a concluding paragraph for each entry?

You're right in that there's not a lot of space to add some artistic flourish to the essays, last year I often found myself having to cut down a lot because 2400 INCLUDING spaces is really not that much. In the end if you feel like explaining your activity is crucial to help explain the rest of the essay (lessons, medicine relation) then you can expand on it more but sometimes I found myself trying to outline the activity as shortly as possible and jumping right into the next part as soon as I could.

5 hours ago, Eddie1 said:

You're right in that there's not a lot of space to add some artistic flourish to the essays, last year I often found myself having to cut down a lot because 2400 INCLUDING spaces is really not that much. In the end if you feel like explaining your activity is crucial to help explain the rest of the essay (lessons, medicine relation) then you can expand on it more but sometimes I found myself trying to outline the activity as shortly as possible and jumping right into the next part as soon as I could. That seemed to be enough for me to get offered an interview last year, so I'm sure they're aware of the constraints we're working with and judge accordingly

Thank you, this helps :)