Premed 101 Forums

OMSAS Fee waiver / Financial Assistance?

Hey everyone,

I was just wondering if anyone had any info as to whether or not OMSAS offers fee waivers for applicants from a low SES background. I applied to USMD schools through AMCAS this year and many schools waived their secondary fees when I contacted them (AMCAS already has a Fee Assistance program in place but only for american students). Paying the $700+ for my OMSAS and school fees is like 40% of what I have in my bank account. I was also eligible for the MCAT assistance that was offered but couldn't find anything on making these fees more affordable. 

Has anyone experienced this? How did you guys go about it? Any guidance would be appreciated!  

I also haven't found anything like that either unfortunately. Ontario medical schools seem pretty out of touch about stuff like that compared to AMCAS. The only attempt I've seen is UOttawa's 2 reserved seats for low-SES applicants, but that still requires paying the full application fee. I recommend that you apply to that if you haven't already.

Not much I can do on my end either but just bite the bullet.. trim some fat off of my budget for daily expenses (like there was any to begin with :P).

2 hours ago, takasugi said:

I don't think this exists for OMSAS unfortunately.

6 hours ago, conbrio said:

I also haven't found anything like that either unfortunately. Ontario medical schools seem pretty out of touch about stuff like that compared to AMCAS. The only attempt I've seen is UOttawa's 2 reserved seats for low-SES applicants, but that still requires paying the full application fee. I recommend that you apply to that if you haven't already.

Not much I can do on my end either but just bite the bullet.. trim some fat off of my budget for daily expenses (like there was any to begin with :P).

Called OMSAS today....yeah they told me to pound sand