Premed 101 Forums

In province question

https://medicine.dal.ca/departments/core-units/admissions/admissions/place-of-residence.html

For the purpose of applying to Dalhousie Medical School, you are considered a resident of a Maritime Province if you meet the following:

You are a Canadian citizen or a Canadian Permanent Resident AND you meet the criteria in 1 of the 4 categories below:

1.    You are an independent student** (see definition below) and have resided continuously in a Maritime province for one period of twelve consecutive months immediately prior to the application submission deadline (Section 2). This excludes time spent as a full-time student at a post-secondary institution       

2.    You are a dependent student** (see definition below) and your parents, or guardian resided in a Maritime province for one period of twelve consecutive months immediately prior to the application submission deadline (Section 2)

3.    You have completed 6 consecutive years of post-secondary education in the same Maritime Province, immediately prior to the application submission deadline (Section 2)

4.    You have been on active duty as an RCMP police officer or as a member of the Regular Force of the Canadian Armed Forces for a minimum of 12 consecutive months prior to the application submission deadline (Section 2)
Definitions**:

For the purposes of this policy, the term:
"Full-time student" means you are enrolled in a post-secondary education program for at least 60% of the regular course load, or 40% if you are disabled, including internships and practicum's.
"Independent student" means you meet, at minimum, one of the following conditions:
have been out of high school for four years
have been in the work force for two periods of 12 consecutive months and were not a full-time student during this period
are or were married or common-law
have a dependent living with you
have no legal guardian or parents are deceased
are a permanent ward of a child and family services agency
"Dependent student" means you are considered to be financially dependent on parent(s) or guardian(s) AND do not meet the criteria of an independent student
**Please note Independent or Dependent Student status is determined by an individual's status at the time of the start of the academic medical program for which they are applying.
Applicants are required to give complete information on their residency status at the time of application.

1 hour ago, Falstaff said:

1.    You are an independent student** (see definition below) and have resided continuously in a Maritime province for one period of twelve consecutive months immediately prior to the application submission deadline (Section 2). This excludes time spent as a full-time student at a post-secondary institution  

Can someone help me out here? I did my undergrad at dal, and graduated in 2018 (but have since left the province). If I move back to halifax for a year will I become IP again?

13 hours ago, ballsortahard said:

Can someone help me out here? I did my undergrad at dal, and graduated in 2018 (but have since left the province). If I move back to halifax for a year will I become IP again?

My guess is you were a dependent student and are not considered IP. You would need to live in Halifax for 12 months, and as such you would not be considered IP for next years cycle I believe? Someone correct me if I’m wrong!

Best bet is to email them or call to verify

If you’re at Dalhousie for school and you’re from OOP,  you’re not considered IP as you’re technically a temporary resident of the province. To be classified as IP, in a nutshell, if you’re parents don’t live in the Maritimes (say they and yourself are from Ontario) and you attended Dal for undergrad whilst parents living in Ontario, then you’d need to live in the Maritimes for 12 entire months not attending school (likely working) prior to the application submission deadline. Its slightly different if you’ve been a full-time student in the same province for 6+ years (see second post above). 

So if you are finished undergrad now (October) and living back in Ontario, you would not be eligible for IP status NEXT application cycle even if you moved and started working here tomorrow. This is because the applications are due in early September, and that would not have been 12 months. So although it may only seem like living here for 1 year, you have to take into account what month it is.

Hopefully thats clear. The whole IP, indep/dep student thing is not crystal clear, at least imo. 

I’d direct you to contact the admissions office as well.

On 10/23/2019 at 4:30 PM, Dalhousie23 said:

If you’re at Dalhousie for school and you’re from OOP,  you’re not considered IP as you’re technically a temporary resident of the province. To be classified as IP, in a nutshell, if you’re parents don’t live in the Maritimes (say they and yourself are from Ontario) and you attended Dal for undergrad whilst parents living in Ontario, then you’d need to live in the Maritimes for 12 entire months not attending school (likely working) prior to the application submission deadline. Its slightly different if you’ve been a full-time student in the same province for 6+ years (see second post above). 

So if you are finished undergrad now (October) and living back in Ontario, you would not be eligible for IP status NEXT application cycle even if you moved and started working here tomorrow. This is because the applications are due in early September, and that would not have been 12 months. So although it may only seem like living here for 1 year, you have to take into account what month it is.

Hopefully thats clear. The whole IP, indep/dep student thing is not crystal clear, at least imo. 

I’d direct you to contact the admissions office as well.

definitely makes sense, thanks for taking the time to write out such a detailed explanation.

• 5 months later...

Looking for some help with a question!

I grew up in New Brunswick but did my undergrad in NS and now am taking a gap year working in NS. I will have been living in NS for a year come application time. I haven't changed over my photo IDs and still would consider my permanent address to be in NB. Am I still eligible as an NB resident for the application?

45 minutes ago, anon5527 said:

Looking for some help with a question!

I grew up in New Brunswick but did my undergrad in NS and now am taking a gap year working in NS. I will have been living in NS for a year come application time. I haven't changed over my photo IDs and still would consider my permanent address to be in NB. Am I still eligible as an NB resident for the application?

No, but you're eligible as a resident in NS. Part of the application is giving a detailed history of where you have lived since you graduated from high school, so not having changed over your IDs etc doesn't matter.