Premed 101 Forums

Recommended courses

Guest Breanne

Guest Breanne

I was wondering if some of you could give me some insight into U of C's stance on their recommended courses. I am getting a BA in psychology, after which I want to attend U of C's medical school. I will be completing most of the courses they recommend, but because of the limit on the number of science courses I can take and the time I have left to complete my degree I won't be able to take physics 223 or the second recommended biochemistry class. I also tried to register for physiology but it was full and I could not get in. I have or will have all the other recommended classes. I have one more year to try and get into physiology and I have signed up for biology 305, a simple anatomy class to show I am making an effort to take some physiology. My question is whether missing these classes will negatively effect my application. I am not sure if they take into account that you will have less of a science background if you have a BA, or not. Any insight would be helpful.

Guest CrazyKath

I finished a BSc. in Psych, but I never did any physics whatsoever. I did a basic anatomy course (no physiology) and many of my classmates don't have either. If you look at the admission stats UCalgary accepted 8 BA's for 2006 and 4 for 2007 (we don't have our class stats yet).

A BA certainly won't exclude you from consideration!! Your overall GPA (including any science courses you have taken) is considered before your degree/choices etc. A good rule is don't stress over it if you can't change it :P . Our class has a wide variety of backgrounds! Focus on maintaining your marks and having a strong extra-curricular background.

Guest everyoneloveschem

Are the recommended courses recommended or required. Well I think they say they are not required, but do people get in without some of them?

Guest CrazyKath

UCalgary clearly says "recommended" and there are several people who have been accepted without all of the recommended courses.

However, I think they will look at your course selections to ensure that you can succeed in a science based "full" courseload at med school. That being said, I never took physics and many ppl didn't take anatomy/physiology and were accepted.

Most med schools require these basic science courses so if you're applying elsewhere you most likely will have taken some of these courses (as well as prep for the MCAT).

Not sure if that helps or not :b

Guest Breanne

I am taking all the biology, inorganic and organic chemistry, as well as statistics. At least one biochem course if I can get in and am allowed to take, as well as one physics course. Thanks for letting me know that not everyone has physics and physiology that makes me feel a lot better.

Archived