Premed 101 Forums

Choosing Queens

Guest ubcredfox

Guest ubcredfox

Hi All,

I got into Queens yesterday and it was the most amazing feeling. Now I know that I can stay and be a doctor in Canada!!!

I also got into UBC yesterday, so it was pretty busy and exciting. I actually never believed that it would happen.

If you had to make the choice between UBC and Queen's, why would you choose Queen's?

I'd really like to know as much info about the program as possible; that includes the very good things and the very bad things i.e. an objective overview.

Thanks for any help and congrats to all the other 2010'ers!

Guest nicoleL

Hey there,

The class of 2009 has our semester exams tomorrow so I should get back to studying, but just to let you know, if you scroll down on the main page there's a thread called " Why Queen's" that may answer some of your questions. Good Luck!

Nicole

Guest little endian

"If you had to make the choice between UBC and Queen's, why would you choose Queen's? "

Hey There,

Ok... so I'm in first year, just finished exams today, woohoo!

I don't know that much about UBC but I'll tell you what I think is good and what I think is bad about Queen's. First of all, phase I is balls. It is a lot of basic science and lots of people were very frustrated with it. But, the good news is that there is a lot of clincal skills stuff along with phase I and that was the best part. Having exams at the end of each semester allows us to have a lot of fun and party. On the other hand, it's a procrastinator's nightmare. I have found it pretty manageable so far though, as long as you start studying for the exams in advance. Exams are always stressful and I like consolidating the stress into one big exam instead of spending ALL my time stressed. Phase II was alright. There will always be parts of medicine that don't really float your boat, but it was really good for giving us most friday afternoons off to give us time to do observerships and usually other time off during the week to go to the gym and whatnot. Drawback: Kingston. I really find Kingston frustrating sometimes. I got hit by a taxi while riding my bike which hasn't ever happened to me before, not even in Toronto. The weather sucks a lot of the time and it's quite small. UBC? Good sushi, better than here :)

Good luck making your decision!

EDIT: Ok. So, what I said sounds pretty negative now that I go back and read it and I didn't mean it to sound that way. I do really like Queen's and most of the time I like Kingston. I love the people in my class which is what really makes Queen's for me as a med school. It's been a fantastic experience. I find that Kingston is a weird combination of a small and a big town. Sometimes I get frustrated that it doesn't have things that I would expect it to and then I get surprised that it does have things that I wouldn't expect it to. And yes, Kingston has sushi, and it doesn't suck. It's just not as good as sushi in Vancouver!

Guest mtnbiker

Can't speak for UBC's program

Queen's program: Lots of lectures and class time... it keeps you busy. But people pick & choose and some never come to lecture. PBL is a very minor portion of our curriculum, and this is the way most of us like it. Exams are at the end of the semester, rather than at the end of the course block, so you have a great time all term and then have two weeks of madness before the final. We have at least two afternoons off a week, and many do 'observerships' where you follow a doc around to get a sense of their specialty. The profs are very approachable and accessible, and involved in activities outside of class. Queen's clinical skills program is fantastic and our grads come out with solid skills and are looked upon very favourably. The Queen's community/"spirit" is a huge bonus and you may have experienced some of this over interview weekend if you participated in events. Clerkship starts in January of 3rd year, although lasts right until you start residency, none of this "going back into the classroom for 6 months deal." Starting later makes it more stressful for electives, but people seem to sort it out fine, and this is changing for the class entering in 2007.

Kingston:

It's not a small town, but it's not a big city either. If you are attached to certain aspects of life in a bigger city like Vancouver, you may have trouble with K-town. There are tons of restaurants, and the sushi is FINE despite what others on this board would have you believe. The weather is great compared to Vancouver. Lots of sun, and a decent winter with snow (usually). No mountains though and the outdoor activites are good but can't compare to Van. Close to Toronto, Ottawa, & Montreal. Most people live within a 10 min walk of campus and downtown. I can't walk downtown or to campus without running into one or two classmates... some love this, and some prefer the anonymity of a huge city. The class is small-ish (100) and quite social, so there is always stuff going on, and it's a 5 min walk to your buddy's place or the bar. Overall a great place to spend 4 years.

Another consideration is where you want to do your residency (i.e. where you want to SETTLE eventually). If you want a residency in BC, it will be significantly tougher, though not out of the question by any stretch, if you come to Queen's. BC is a particularly popular place for residency

Edit: If you are worried about being hit by a taxi, bear in mind that I have been hit on my bike by: a taxi in Toronto (multiple times), a rickshaw in Bombay, and a snowmobile in Vladivostok, Russia. In Kingston, however, I am yet to be hit by anything other than multiple tiny bugs in the 13 day span of insect-infested terror that occurs without fail every May.

hey there.

don't really have a lot to add to what the other posts said, but i do recommend you check out previous threads about why choosing Queen's is good/bad.

just wanted to say that although some thought Phase I was balls, i didn't. sure, some of it was boring and some of it was review of all your undergrad courses, there was some usefulness. for people with no anatomy background (like me), Phase I is necessary. just a tad rushed.

i really liked Phase IIA, which includes Musculoskeletal, Immuno, Microbiology, Infectious Diseases, Dermatology, Hematology and Oncology. really tough, a ton of info. but at least i can say i enjoyed the material.

so far the clinical skills program here is pretty good.

unlike Little Endian, i happen to like kingston. i haven't been hit yet by a taxi, though. if you live in a decent location, then you can walk anywhere you want and life is good.

good luck with the choices.

-ET

Guest lidia

I'm gonna have to disagree with one of the above posters...

it is not alot more difficult to match to bc after doing med at Queen's, or at another Canadian school. Having spoken to UBC residents who have done med elsewhere in Canada, as well as a couple people on a residency selection committee, what matters most is that you have done electives where you want to go (and have been enthusiastic and good to work with) and have a strong interest in living in BC. It could be that you did med school here, or that you have family here, or that you fell completely in love with the city upon doing your elective here.

If you look at the 2006 match stats that were posted on qmed a little while ago, it was a Queen's grad that snagged the UBC derm spot... Now if that's not competitive!

The more I talk to people, the more I hear that its best to go where you think you will be happiest. Besides, residency is a little ways away, and you may have changed your mind about where you want to work by then.

Guest ubcredfox

Hi Lidia,

Me and you are in the same position; have you made your decision yet?

What's been the #1 thing that's driving you to Queen's?

I had a fantastic time at the interview weekend too (read - I drank and drank...) and I thought the people were really friendly.

My major issue with leaving Vancouver, is leaving behind family/friends. how are you dealing with this debacle?

Guest drews97

Hi ubcredfox,

I'm originally from Alberta and was a little concerned when I came to Kingston for med (4 years ago now!!!) that I'd be leaving my family and friends behind. Believe me when I say that this really isn't an issue. First of all, you can easily come home at Christmas and for at up to 3-4 months during the summer of first and second year so you'll have enough time to visit with people. Secondly, and more importantly, you'll make a ton of great friends here at Queen's! Our classes here are generally small and quite social and everyone lives close to one another. In the first and second year you'll spend a lot of time together. Also, it is a great opportunity to spend 4 non-obligation years away from home and see a different part of the country. Once you start residency you'll be there for 5 years (unless you chosse family med or internal medicine and don't subspecialize) and many people ultimately end up living where they do their residency. Med school has no such stigma (although you do have a slightly better chance of matching to your own school as you can get to know the faculty). My advice would be to try a differenty part of the country! Kingston is very close to some of Canada's coolest cities (Ottawa, Montreal, T.O if it's your cup of tea) and to the US. It doesn't have great downhill skiing but still has a lot of outdoor activities to offer. Good luck on your decision.

Guest lidia

Hey redfox,

Sorry fo rthe delay... You've probably made your mind up by now given the deadlines next week!

I think the whole leaving family/friends thing can be both a positive and a negative experience.. probably depends on the individual to make the best choice for them. Personally, I think it is a good time in my life to leave the nest for a bit.

Hope you are happy with whatever you decide :)

All the best next year!

Guest MarkhamDoc

If you're not going to settle down in Ontario, an out of province med school shall be always the last choice - unless the out of province med school is great in all aspects including recognition.

If it is between UBC and UofT, I would choose UofT. but for a BC resident between UBC and Q, ooohps . . .

It must be worth to loose the family support to go out of province. I have lived in BC and ON: in my case I did not have choice to go back to BC.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest brownie99

Dude, I've lived in K-town for the last 7 years on and off, and it does NOT compare with Vancouver in even the slightest way! The snow....the annoying undergrads that feel its ok to scream for hours in the streets whenever it isn't snowing (and sometimes when it is, but not for as long)...the ugly town....the lack of mountains and ocean. Throw in the fact that UBC is a GREAT med school, and I'm not sure how anyone can choose otherwise. But thats just my 2 cents. Feel free to disagree with me. :P

• 1 month later...
Guest shadowguitar

I am not going to try to compare Vancouver and Kingston, but having lived in both cities (and numerous other Canadian cities) for a number of years, I would have to say that the UGLIEST neighbourhood in ALL of Canada is in Vancouver.

Basically you cannot judge the entire city of Kingston by the small portion of the city that is within walking distance of the Queen's campus.

Archived