Premed 101 Forums

Ottawa FM?

Hufflepuff

4 hours ago, Hufflepuff said:

Why does ottawa family med consistently have so many seats left over? Especially last year. Is there a reason applicants don't rank it?

Its the other way around. The program doesn't rank enough applicants. I don't even think the program interviews enough people. A lot of my classmates failed to get interviews at Ottawa even though they received interviews at more traditionally competitive programs like Toronto and Mcmaster. It hasn't just been a one-off thing either, it's been happening consecutive years. I am starting to wonder if its on purpose or if the program is overestimating its own desirability. But the program does pick up second rounders so I am guessing the latter.

4 hours ago, hero147 said:

Its the other way around. The program doesn't rank enough applicants. I don't even think the program interviews enough people. A lot of my classmates failed to get interviews at Ottawa even though they received interviews at more traditionally competitive programs like Toronto and Mcmaster. It hasn't just been a one-off thing either, it's been happening consecutive years. I am starting to wonder if its on purpose or if the program is overestimating its own desirability. But the program does pick up second rounders so I am guessing the latter.

They don't rank enough applicants for the first round, it's well-known. They deliberately prefer to rank people who want to do family medicine as first choice. For second round, I guess that they are compelled by the ministry of health to give the unmatched candidates a chance, which is true for all the other programs. 

UofT FM program's interview threshold is much lower, as they use the file review to wean out the red flag candidates (failure, professionalism). The candidates who are backing up with FM are ranked lower anyway as FM interest is an important component, but at least they get a chance for interview. 

5 hours ago, hero147 said:

It is both. The program from close friends who are in it and "in the know" has had issues the last 2-3 years, which they are working on, but it becomes evident when you talk to some residents. 

Then there is the second issue, that you mention, about the program being too picky for interviews, and then picking up 2nd round applicants. Part of that, is they do some to allow internal transfers from other disciplines, and as well overestimating their desirability.