Premed 101 Forums

Waitlist Update

Guest SilverHeart

Guest NeuroObsessed

Congratulations SilverHeart, you must be elated! :)

Is Queen's your first choice and what are your stats like?

Thanks and enjoy your day!

Guest Dingalongdong

I just got mine too.

Here are my stats:

Interview: felt good

Essays: excellent

Extracurriculers: moderate in quantity. Extensive experience working with special needs folks and coaching.

Omsas GPA: 3.73

MCAT: 38Q

Guest 2loony

Silverheart,

Congratulations!

Hope that waitlist magic rubs off on the rest of us!

Good luck and all the best!

2L

Guest SilverHeart

Thanks everyone!

I just finished my 3rd year of undergrad. My GPA was 3.70 (OMSAS) and my MCAT was 35Q (11PS, 10VR, 14BS).

Extracirriculars: volunteering at a camp for kids with cancer, 1 summer of research, and lots of other work with children, etc.

Interview: had really mixed feelings; i thought i answered the questions well but the interview was only 35 minutes and i was not expecting to get so many health care and ethical questions

I'll be accepting provisionally at Queens and still wait it out at Western for a while... but I'm ecstatic to go to either!!

Guest sensfan

I didn't know you could do a provisional if you get an offer off the waitlist. I thought that you have to firmly accept or decline that offer right away - like, you can only provisionally accept if you got in right away (first round), but if you get called off a waitlist, you have to decide right then if you accept or not. I was told it was like that 2 years ago. Did they change the rules? Sorry, this is a bit jumbled...

Guest grobz

I also have a question about the provisional acceptance thing. Do you still pay the $1000 if you are not quite sure and waiting to hear from other schools?

g

Guest SilverHeart

Oh, I never heard that you can't accept provisionally if you were originally on waitlist. Queen's sent me the form I have to return, one copy to them and one copy to OMSAS, and all 3 options are listed: accept firmly, accept provisionally, decline.

Guest NeuroObsessed

Does anybody know if Queen's has sent out all of their second round offers, or are they doing a sort of rolling admissions? Thanks and congratulations to everybody who got in!

Guest rubberoduck

to Silverheart

As far as I know, the rules are that only the first round of offers is allowed to accept provisionally. They give the same package to first round and waitlisters. Normally the school would ask the Waitlister (usually by phone, but this year email is prevalent) whether or not they will accept. Only those who accept will receive an offer package (still the same as the ones sent on the first round, which is why you still see the provisional acceptance form, because the first rounders are allowed to accept provisionally). Ultimately, you cannot provisionally accept if you were called off from the waitlist.

Guest SilverHeart

hmm thanks for the info. I'll definitely be calling Queen's to check on that. I find it strange they would not mention that somewhere. The email just stated "if you are interested in considering this offer" then they will send an acceptance package, which was the standard package and not specific to someone who was initially waitlisted.

Guest SilverHeart

In case anyone else is in the same situation, I called Queen's and OMSAS... both said an offer given to someone off the waitlist can be accepted provisionally.

Guest daniB2006

Hey guys,

What is the deadline for waitlisters who got an offer from Queens to tell them they have accepted the offer? And when do the wait list provisionals become firm?

Is anyone who was accepted off the waitlist provisional at another school?

Thanks!

Guest jaegwon

I also just received an offer this morning...I'll definitely be accepting it as Queen's is the only Canadian school to show me any love.

Good luck to those of you still waiting!

Guest sensfan

Just found out this afternoon that I'm in off the waitlist! I was provisional at Western but I really wanted Queens. Yay! Congrats to those who are in and good luck to those still waiting!

Guest ScoobyBill

Congrats sensfan!

Great to hear you got in to your first choice school!

Can't wait to meet you in the fall!

For the record, I'm a Red Wings fan!

Guest Darwin
Congrats, Darwin.. are you going to be going to Queen's next year?

I'm not sure if I'll be attending Queen's next year. I accepted Western provisionally already....so now I'm not 100% certain where I'll be going :S

Guest sensfan

Thanks ScoobyBill - the fact that Queens was my first choice and that it's the closest med school to my precious Sens (without going to Ottawa, where I didn't apply because I didn't want to go there) is not a coincidence, hee hee. Having said that, Queens is a kick ass school and I'm more than thrilled to be coming here! And hey, the Red Wings are alright!

Archived