Premed 101 Forums

Is it even possible?

honestly, nobody can possibly comment on that with certainty. From the outside looking in, it seems very unlikely, especially at UofT where GPA is counted competitively both before and after the interview. But I would really suggest either doing additional undergrad years, or maybe even doing a one-year Masters (if I'm not wrong, UofT considers that to be in the graduate stream already). It also depends on if you qualify for wGPA at all, what you write in your essays, and your reference letters.

But as you already know, 3 factors seem to be key at UofT pre-interview: GPA, graduate degrees, and your ECs. And you're essentially eliminating all three factors in your question, except maybe the ECs part. Not everyone who got interviewed at UofT have publications or world-changing experiences, so it really comes down to how you write about them in your ABS and essays to reflect on those activities as well. And if you feel like you're lacking in your GPA, then you might just need to make up for it in other areas... There are some well-rounded people on the UofT threads who nail all components yet fail to get interview. So to be lackluster on all fronts is a very hard position to be in.

They did mention, though, that applications below 3.8 (or 3.7 for graduate applicants) is not competitive (i.e. you're unlikely to be able to compensate for that with other parts of your application).

Hope some of this helps!

9 minutes ago, DrOtter said:

honestly, nobody can possibly comment on that with certainty. From the outside looking in, it seems very unlikely, especially at UofT where GPA is counted competitively both before and after the interview. But I would really suggest either doing additional undergrad years, or maybe even doing a one-year Masters (if I'm not wrong, UofT considers that to be in the graduate stream already). It also depends on if you qualify for wGPA at all, what you write in your essays, and your reference letters.

But as you already know, 3 factors seem to be key at UofT pre-interview: GPA, graduate degrees, and your ECs. And you're essentially eliminating all three factors in your question, except maybe the ECs part. Not everyone who got interviewed at UofT have publications or world-changing experiences, so it really comes down to how you write about them in your ABS and essays to reflect on those activities as well. And if you feel like you're lacking in your GPA, then you might just need to make up for it in other areas... There are some well-rounded people on the UofT threads who nail all components yet fail to get interview. So to be lackluster on all fronts is a very hard position to be in.

They did mention, though, that applications below 3.8 (or 3.7 for graduate applicants) is not competitive (i.e. you're unlikely to be able to compensate for that with other parts of your application).

Hope some of this helps!

Well I guess I do qualify for WGPA and I am sitting on 3.89. But still thats a long way from 4.0.

Also since getting masters puts you in a different pool. how does that help you? as you will be competing against people with graduate degree!

1 hour ago, LastOneStanding said:

Hi,

So is it even possible for people without masters/phd to get interview from UofT with below 3.9 GPA and no publications or crazy unique experiences (ie. saving the private Ryan from deep inside enemy lines)?!

I have a 3.89 GPA before the weighting calculation and I do not have a graduate degree nor publications. This will be my second (and hopefully last) time interviewing so keep your head up! It surely is possible! :)