Premed 101 Forums

UofA Dent Admissions Question

Got a question which isn't being explicitly answered by the UofA admissions office - I just want to ensure the wording is correct, as its a critical point for me.

Quoting directly from the admissions website

For applicants who have completed four or more years of full-time transferable postsecondary work, the cumulative (overall) GPA is calculated with the deletion of the lowest Fall/Winter GPA, provided it is not the most recent Fall/Winter or the only Fall/Winter where *30 was taken.

I bolded the section I want to clarify.

Essentially this states that they will count the most recent fall/winter as long as its not the lowest GPA among all full time years? I finished my bachelors and am planning to take a 5th year starting September, with a full course load - to boost my GPA. I will also apply to UofA dent in November. Will my GPA for this upcoming year (Fall 2020 and Winter 2021) be counted towards my grades for UofA admissions?

Your GPA up until completion of your fall semester next year will be used for interview decision, once you've completed the interview, your final GPA calculation will include the following winter semester (the semester you get your interview in). 

Thanks for the clarification. I'm curious as to the deletion of the worst year work? Will they remove the worst *30 (full courseload) year if the GPA for my upcoming fall semester is good? Or is the worst year removed when the final GPA is calculated. My worst year was second year undergrad - removal of that improves my GPA substantially.

I'm a little confused at what your asking, but if your second year is your worst, then it will not be used for calculations as long as its not your only 30* year. they must take into account your GPA for most recent year, i.e upcoming fall/winter for you since you plan to apply for upcoming cycle.

Coming into this new fall/winter year i will only have one 30* year (my second year from undergrad). By April 2021, I will have my second 30* year completed. So I'm not sure if they will remove my second yr from undergrad (30*) at the time I apply. At the time I apply I will be halfway done my second 30* year, if that makes sense.

Thanks

ohh that's a tricky one, I think they may include 2nd year and drop the lowest between 1st, 3rd, 4th for GPA for interview calculation, then use your 5th year and drop your 2nd year after interview for final decision. make sure you call to check 

On 6/11/2020 at 11:34 AM, lctb said:

Yeah I'm wondering too.. Their number is closed cause of COVID and e-mail wise the answers are a bit lacking :( but I guess i'll try again!

I believe your 2nd year will be dropped! I'm currently applying this cycle and my situation seems extremely similar to yours. My only year of 30* was my 2nd year, which was also my lowest year. I just completed my 4th year which was also a 30* year. I got an interview invite based off of my first 3 years, and now that all of my documents have been received I emailed asking what they calculated my OGPA as, and they most certainly dropped my 2nd year! 

• 1 month later...