Premed 101 Forums

My chances as grad applicant?

Hey Everyone! Really need some inputs here. I have so much self-doubts and not sure if I should even apply this round.

I applied in 2018 at 3rd year undergrad. Didn't get an interview so I got into a MSc (currently finishing the 1st year). I do have more ECs and research experience now compared to last time, but still I don't think they would be impressive. Plus with the new wGPA policy I won't be eligible because I finished undergrad in 3.5 years (not full FCE in last year).

• My cGPA: 3.79. (I probability would write explanatory letter, if accepter the wGPA should be 3.83)
  • MCAT: 513 (128, 125, 130, 130)
  • EC: some research (2 co-author paper under review, 1 first-author review paper under review, no presentation), some lab volunteering in undergrad,;distress center volunteer for over a year, some club executive, some mental health advocate club, hospital volunteer over 1 year; primary school teaching assistant, summer camp counsellor (those are short-term, a few months), and part-time jobs
  • Referee: 2 profs (one is my Master's supervisor, another is the prof at my volunteered lab undergrad), 1 from distress center (probably not knowing me too much, but is the best non-academic reference I can think of)

I am feeling quite low self-esteem right now seeing the stats and the accept/reject thread. Also got friends with perfect application (I feel) not getting in. Really want to stay in Toronto and get in UofT Med.

Thanks to anyone who is reading this and any feedback will be really helpful!

I’ve been in similar shoes, but my gpa was higher, and got in this time after applying halfway through my masters. It was my first time ever applying and my MCAT was lower, but UofT doesnt care past the cutoffs. If you can get the wGPA then it would be good. Apply either way, you never know. And your third referee that you’re not confident in reminds me of 2 of my 3 referees, so i say go ahead. Best of luck!

On 6/14/2020 at 11:07 AM, Medi_27 said:

Good luck.

I would clarify not getting the wGPA. Seems silly to be penalized for being too efficient in undergrad

Thank you for your input! I would definitely write the explanatory letter and hopefully that will be approved. It does beat me a bit when I see the new policy coming up and that I couldn't quality wGPA at all, but I guess I am not the only one affected by it :(

4 hours ago, conditional knockout said:

I’ve been in similar shoes, but my gpa was higher, and got in this time after applying halfway through my masters. It was my first time ever applying and my MCAT was lower, but UofT doesnt care past the cutoffs. If you can get the wGPA then it would be good. Apply either way, you never know. And your third referee that you’re not confident in reminds me of 2 of my 3 referees, so i say go ahead. Best of luck!

Wow that's amazing! Congratulations!

I guess no matter what I will definitely take a shot again this year. I feel that UofT emphasized GPAs and MCATs much less compared to the other Ontario med schools (since they cut people off before seeing their CV). Thank you so much for sharing your experience - It's really reassuring to see this!

On 6/15/2020 at 5:58 PM, Butterfly_ said:

Even though UofT is your top school, I would still advise you to apply as broadly as possible to increase your chances of getting an interview/admission. 

That's a great idea! I realized my chances are not as great for Western, Queens, and McMaster because of my CARS, so I planned to rewrite MCAT in August after seeing your reply. Thank you very much for sharing your thoughts!