Premed 101 Forums

Getting Interview

Guest PhantomPhoenix

Guest hmsdread

You can be pretty sure that you'll get one, but GUARANTEED is a word no one ever really uses...I believe the admissions office reserves the right to not interview someone for a variety of reasons (ie. bad reference letter, claims on your autobiographic sketch that can't be verified, etc)**... meeting the cutoffs should generally let you sleep pretty good though... TimmyMax or Aneliz could you comment...

** = I have NO IDEA whether refs or autobiographic stuff is looked at when determining an interview at UWO, so please don't read into this... just an example of why meeting cutoffs MAY NOT "guarantee" you an interview.

hmsdread

If you meet all the cut-offs for this year, you should expect to be interviewed. Of course this is never a guarantee....as an aside, this year's cut-offs won't be set until the end of January. Cut-offs are generally set to get the applicant pool down to about 400-420 people (a number that is reasonable to interview). However, if you don't meet another criterion (like attending a recognised university, being a Canadian citizen or permanent resident, having completed enough years of university, or something else that is explicitly clear in the 'who is qualified to apply' instructions) you can't expect that you will be 'guaranteed' an interview regardless of meeting the cut-offs - because there would be no point! Even if you were to be offered admission, if you don't meet all of the requirements and you won't be allowed to register!

UWO cut-offs are strict....you need to meet BOTH the GPA and the MCAT cut-offs....and there is no 'wiggle room' on either. If (as an example only!) the cut-off for GPA was 3.65, and you had a 3.64 you will not meet the cut-off. Western unfortunately does not offer any mercy for those who are 'close'. (ie if you meet the GPA cut-off and all except one of the MCAT cuts its unfortunately, still game over....

Good luck....and don't worry about it because there is nothing that you can do to change anything at this point!

Good luck!

Guest TimmyMax

Hey aneliz,

And now for the fake news...;)

In light of the new craze sweeping the class of 2K6 this exam study period, a new admissions process is now in place here at UWO. The personal interview portion of the admissions process has been hereby abolished. Eligible candidates (those meeting the GPA and MCAT cutoffs- those are still in effect) contacted for an interview will come to UWO to have their fates decided by a massive 400-420-way 'Helicopter Game' elimination tournament. The top 133 scores will be offered admission, no questions asked. Ties will be broken by a sudden death playoff round, but if that fails, a two-man sack race will be held on consecutive Sundays until a champion is crowned.

There, you've been warned. My advice is to start practicing, because you only get one shot at the prize. Happy gaming! :)

Best of luck!

Timmy

You guys are both nuts....but as I look around the LRC computers I can see no less than five people from 2006 and 2005 in training for helicopter right now.......of course Timmy forgot to mention that there is a $500 donation/entrance fee for the tournament that is payable to the "Class of 2006 Tuition fund".

You all better start practising, because we are! The standing record high scores are falling about once every 15 minutes.....and, according to Crackers, you are going to have to beat the record to get in...maybe this should be the minimum 'cut-off' and after that, the top 133 scorers will be offered admission to meds 2007....

We will keep the sack races to settle any ties.....

And now, meds 2006 Quotes, from the LRC:

"the helicopter game is the best game in the world. It's more addictive than cocaine....I'm going to play helicopter before I start researching PCL...." -A.S.

"Andrew why did you fail your exams this quarter?"

"Helicopter game!!!!!!"

"We have just discovered that it has sound too!" -J.S.

"I love this game. It beats course notes hands down!" J.C.

"I think that it looks like motile sperm....don't ya think?" -E.G.

Guest Chieka101

Hmmm computer games, eh? Last year, (my fourth year of undergrad at UWO), students were obsessed with a mini-put game. You'd walk into the Weldon or the Taylor and there'd be rows of students all playing the game.

It's nice to see that med students aren't above pointless uses of valuable time. :)

C.

I did not heed the warnings concerning the addictiveness of this game. Hence my current obsession with it.

AHHH!!! But I think i've discovered the secret: start high, and then go low if need be. It seems one goes further (or is it farther? ahhh!) if one stays high...

Really, I don't need this game right now, not during exam time...

Guest bad hombre

high score so far is 1140, soon i'll be good enough for the western interview... i heard the cutoff for this year was 1200 8o

probably the best one-button videogame ive ever played... my only concern is with the fumes coming out the back... is that normal for helicopters???:(

Guest kosmo14

Well, there went two hours, but I managed to get a 1340. Maybe when they kick me out of here for failing all of my finals (due to a helicopter addiction) I can apply to Western.

Guest therealcrackers

Blame S**** McL***** in 2K6 for this---- he made the mistake of posting the URL for this massive time-waster (1797!) --- I'm sure his intentions were good, but this is spreading like Norwalk across the med schools of the country... :o If it spreads to the undergrads, it really could be a factor in the interviews!

Should be plenty of spaces at UWO.....all of the 2006's are going to fail 2nd quarter exams thanks to the helicopter game.....if it keeps up for 3rd and 4th quarter too, they will all be kicked out by next Sept.....

1200 sounds like a decent cut-off, but be warned that it may 'fluxate with the quality of the applicant pool'.....

Happy playing (I mean studying)..... :)

Guest bad hombre

hey guys,

i just scored 2774 8o . i know it's getting a little old, but my acceptance is guaranteed right? what kind of scholarship will i be getting? full ride?

Guest TimmyMax

Hey Aneliz,

Nuts to getting kicked out, I don't need the helicopter game to help me with that. On a related note, I'd just like to announce that I'm not playing the helicopter game at all, nor have I ever played it- I am therefore immune to its seductive effect. It does look fun, though, I must say. :smokin

And to bad hombre, congrats on the great score, but the minimum (to be announced in January) is expected to be around 3000, so you're almost there. :D

Okay, 'nuff time wasting. Did you read CM's poem? Tee, hee!

Best of luck!

Timmy

Guest UWOMED2005

I was in the LRC today. . . apparently Dr. Suess scored 4500.

These applicants better pull up their britches if they want any chance of getting into the class of 2007. . . :hat

I am with Timmy. I have not, nor will I during exams, play the helicopter game....it is evil and though it looks fun, I know that it is ultimately no good....I can confirm that Dr Seuss did indeed score over 4500 yesterday....that is the current standing record....and it was printed out and signed to make it official.

On a side note, I noticed that several of my classmates have acquired the helicopter game for their palms. So, now they can play IN class too....and they do....

I'm not a helicopteror either. Played it the once, didn't really grab me. Unfortunately, I have been thoroughly sucked in by Neopets. If Neopoints were dollars, I could pay off my tuition and that of 8 of my closest friends.

Archived