Premed 101 Forums

GPA and Special Student

Guest Talon01

Guest Talon01

Hello All!

When Western calculates your GPA do they use only your final year when offering admissions? I'm currently IN my 4th year right now and my GPA for my third year was 3.57 (on the button I think) and this year it's a bit higher. When I apply to Western next year will they only look @ my 4th year marks? I know the cutoff has to be 2 years above 3.65, so if they use my 3rd year marks and 4 year marks to grant me an interview I won't get one because I would have had only 1 year above the cutoff. I DO plan on taking another year next year of just random undergrad courses. Will Western look down upon this decision? Will Westernuse my 4th year marks to decide to grant me a decision and then use my 4th year and 'special' year to see if I'm above their 3.65 cutoff?

I hope this question makes sense.

Thanks in advance.

~Scotty

Guest PhantomPhoenix

It's less stressful if u have both years meeting the cut-off before u reach that last year...

That way u can slack that last year....:rollin

Guest TimmyMax

Hi Talon,

In order to get an interview, you'll need one full-time year above the posted GPA cutoff (and be above the MCAT cutoffs as well). If it is your 4th year, then so be it. Your offer of admission will be conditional in the sense that you will have to achieve greater than the GPA cutoff (same as that for your 4th year) in your 5th or "special" year (also must be full-time). You'll have to send in a transcript to confirm that you are indeed above the cutoff, but once you do that, you'll be money! :)

Best of luck!

Timmy

Nothin' wrong with a victory lap year... I learned some awfully cool things in my victory lap year... how to breed hybrid barley... how bees have sex... how opium and tea changed world history... Well, and some useful stuff too. I took an absolutely amazing course in communications, and it has proved useful time and again.

...I wouldn't have needed a victory lap year if UWO had had the same policy they do now about the any two years instead of one year plus the last year, but I don't regret having taken it -- and it didn't count against me.

Talon1:

The cut-offs for this year (entry fall 2003) have yet to be set...they won't be posted until after Jan 31. The cut-off may stay the same (3.65) but this is not likely...it usually goes up or down somewhat each year.

You need two full years over the cut to be eligible. This can be any two full time years...your 'last' year is no longer specifically looked at EXCEPT if you only have one other year above the cut. Then you would need your last year to be above the cut so that you have the required two years. As mying said, you can always take a victory lap year to get a second year with a high GPA. If you did this, Western will look at you ONE highest full-time year to determine if you are above the cut-off. If you meet that cut-off and the MCAT cut-offs, you would receive an interview. Your score in the past was then calculated as 25% MCAT, 25% GPA and 50% interview. The interview is the most important factor in your ultimate acceptance. If you received an offer, you would need to show that you have a second fulltime undergrad year that is above the cut-off. This may be your last year (5th year) or any other year that you have already completed.

Good luck!

Guest Talon01

First off, thanks for the replies....

So if I understand it correctly if I get above the cutoff (~3.65) in my fourth year they'll give me an interview even though it's only 1 year above the cutoff. If I do well in the interview they can grant me a conditional acceptance. Conditional in the sense that I MUST have my 5th year above the cutoff as well because my 1st, 2nd, 3rd years aren't above the cutoff. It doesn't matter if I take a 'victory lap' year? Does this extra year have to be honor level courses or above (200+ at Western)?

Thanks in Advance!

~Scotty

Guest therealcrackers

I think you'll need to have at least one year OTHER than this academic year above the Western cut-off if your application has gone in this year, in order to get an interview. You need at least two total years above the cut-off to be considered for acceptance for the class of 2007. Conditional acceptance is based on your marks for the current year ONLY; your 5th year does not apply FOR THIS YEAR, because Western hardly ever (!) grants deferrals for completion of undergraduate studies. If you were to apply after your 5th year (class of 2008 8) ), and that GPA and this year's GPA were above the cut-off, you had a good interview and a good MCAT, you would be very competitive for a spot in the class of 2008.

Hope that helps. I think most of the courses have to be at the honours level, but some can be at the senior general (like 100 level psychs, etc.)--check with the admission criteria on the website.

Yes Talon1...the scenario that you described is exactly how it would happen...I don't think that you applied for this year...so what Crackers posted wouldn't apply...UWO will NOT as a rule defer anybody's acceptance...they feel that you should apply when you are ready to start and not until...

As for your victory lap year: It must be a full-time year (5.0 courses between Sept and April.) It must include at least 3.0 in 200 level courses and you cannot be repeating any course that you have already taken.

Good luck!

Guest toothyhuh

I was wondering what the chances are of the cutoff rising to 3.7? In the last few years its been either 3.6 or 3.65 (to my knowledge). I heard that this year's applicant pool was smaller, but I don't see why that should affect the GPA unless the pool is of better quality.

Any insider opinions on this?

Guest UWOMED2005

Ihave to admit I've been saying 3.7 pretty much just to protect my own rear end. I'd hate to tell people their okay with a 3.65 and then have that not be the case. My best guess would be between 3.55 and 3.65 as that's been the range the last few years. But for all I know this is a whacky year and 450 people applied with 43 T MCATs and 4.0 GPAs. But that's extremely unlikely. 3.7 isn't as unlikely, but I HONESTLY DON'T KNOW.

Honestly, you'll have to wait until the end of the month. Your best bet is to take a few weeks off from checking to see if the cutoffs are up and have some fun before midterms and exams start bogging you down. If you come back around Feb 1st, I'm sure Timmymax and Aneliz will have something posted by then - I'm sure they'll post the URL the minute the cutoffs are up.

One more time I'll say it: CUT OFFS HAVE NOT BEEN SET FOR FALL 2003 YET!!!!!!!

The cut offs will be set at the admissions meeting on Jan 31. You will not find them before then. Tim and I will both be at that meeting and will post the cut-offs as soon as they are available. Promise.

As for whether they will go up or down or stay the same....

My thoughts (and only my thoughts!):

The applicant pool is smaller then last year BUT I really don't think that a difference of around 100 applicants in a total pool of about 1600 will really affect the stats needed to be in the top 420...and here is why....the admin at western has proposed that the drop in applicant numbers is due to the early availability of MCAT scores this year. Therefore, some people that would have applied, got their MCAT score, knew that there is no way that they would make the cut off and decided to keep their $75. In past years, they would have been uncertain of their scores at the deadline and many used to buy a $75 'lottery ticket' on the off chance that they met the cut. These 'bottom feeders' have been eliminated from the pool (hence it is smaller) but, the composition of the top of the pool, those people that are in contention for an interview, will likely not have changed. Your chances of getting an interview will not really have changed.

In my experience, the cut-offs are fairly stable....GPA usually around 3.55-3.70 and MCAT's around 9-10 and P or Q. For the 2005 class, there was a rather elaborate formula for the MCAT cut-off but their GPA cut off was lower then ours. Our MCAT cuts were lower but our GPA cut off was 0.05 higher. I think that it must be a trade off....lower GPA tends to go with higher MCAT....

So keep watching here....the cut-offs will go up as soon as possible (not before Jan 31) and we have no more insight into them then you do until then!

Cheers!

Andrea

Archived