Premed 101 Forums

From DEC-BAC nurse to Med school

Hello everyone ,

I am a nursing student at Udem right now from the DEC-BAC program(having all the prerequisites for Med) . I would want to know is there's a nurse who was in the same situation as me and was accepted to Med school at UdeM, ULaval, Usherbrooke or McGill .Thank you and hope I'll get an answer.

Have a great day !

Hi!

I'm not a nurse, nor a student at the DEC-BAC, but I can give you some input.

The Dec-Bac is not well ranked by uLaval, so your only chance there would be through the "Marché du travail" pool with 2 years of working full time post bac.

At UdeM, it's a mystery, but apparently, nursing's ranking is not as bad as the one at uLaval. The only way to get your CRU at UdeM would be to apply and you can ask your CRU at the end of the admission process.

At Usherbrooke, it's a mystery too, but if you have a perfect GPA, you automatically get 35 for a CRU, so it gives you a shot to get interviewed. You can also try the Marché du travail pool with 2 years of working full time post bac. Otherwise, the only way to get your CRU is to apply and ask for it at the end of the admission process.

McGill is your best shot, because they don't rank bachelor degrees. You can use the Workbook (https://www.mcgill.ca/medadmissions/applying/requirements/elements/maaw) to convert your bac's grades to the McGill scale (a GPA out of 4). Also, you get a bonus for the academic context because your degree gives you access to the OIIQ. Your CV and your Casper are also very important and can make or break your application, even if your GPA is not phenomenal.

Hope this helps!

2 hours ago, nurseanika said:

Hello everyone ,

I am a nursing student at Udem right now from the DEC-BAC program(having all the prerequisites for Med) . I would want to know is there's a nurse who was in the same situation as me and was accepted to Med school at UdeM, ULaval, Usherbrooke or McGill .Thank you and hope I'll get an answer.

Have a great day !

Your chances are quite good at Sherbrooke imo, I personally know two nurses in my year who got accepted to med after their DEC-BAC (and I’m pretty sure that there are a lot more nurses in the same situation that I might have not talked to yet)! UdeM might also give good CRUs if you have a good GPA too basing on what I’ve heard here. Honestly, just kill your CASPer and interview and everything will be fine!

4 hours ago, Médicomage said:

The Dec-Bac is not well ranked by uLaval, so your only chance there would be through the "Marché du travail" pool with 2 years of working full time post bac.

But don’t forget that starting from this year, all you need is a 31 CRU and after that all that matters is your CASPer (for MMI invitations) and your MMI score (or maybe your CASPer score yet again lol)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Salut @nurseanika, j'ai été acceptée cette année à l'année préparatoire en med à l'UDEM suite à mon DEC-BAC en sciences infirmières :) Et je ne suis pas la seule, nous sommes 3-4 infirmiers/infirmières dans ma cohorte avec le parcours Dec-Bac! Tu peux m'écrire en privé si tu as des questions :)