Premed 101 Forums

Resources to better understand the healthcare system and current issues

garceyues

Hello all,

I was wondering if anyone had any recommendations for resources to better understand the Canadian healthcare system and some of the current issues it faces? I already consume a ton of general political news from multiple sources and have been closely following the pandemic, but I feel as though this isn't sufficient. I want to further explore topics such as rural/Indigenous health, harm reduction, healthcare costs, wait times, provincial health news etc. I know some people recommend Doing Right, but from what I understand it more so touches on ethics. I also had someone recommend White Coat, Black Art to me.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey! I can't help with specific resources for this, but what I will say is that I also worried about knowing these things for my interviews, but as long as you have a super basic awareness of what's going on (which clearly you already do), that's more than enough. It's way more important to know in general how to work through a problem ethically- reading up about specific topics is unlikely to help you or come up in the interview. They aren't testing your knowledge of information, they're testing your ability to see all sides of a problem and come up with a well-rounded, ethical solution. I honestly wouldn't spend time reading up on specific issues (although this is of course your decision how to spend your time). Personally, it didn't help me whatsoever

On 1/4/2021 at 10:30 AM, Psych said:

Hey! I can't help with specific resources for this, but what I will say is that I also worried about knowing these things for my interviews, but as long as you have a super basic awareness of what's going on (which clearly you already do), that's more than enough. It's way more important to know in general how to work through a problem ethically- reading up about specific topics is unlikely to help you or come up in the interview. They aren't testing your knowledge of information, they're testing your ability to see all sides of a problem and come up with a well-rounded, ethical solution. I honestly wouldn't spend time reading up on specific issues (although this is of course your decision how to spend your time). Personally, it didn't help me whatsoever

Thanks for the reply! When I first started interview prep, I preoccupied with formulaic type concerns such as how to structure a question or how a certain canmed competency relates to something. As my prep has progressed, I started to see that the ability to critically analyze situations, be empathetic, explore different perspectives etc. is far more important than following a particular structure or trying to make some forced comparison. Everyone who interviews is obviously very intelligent and is capable of learning, but its the soft skills and who we are as people that set us apart :) 

With respect, I think you are overdoing it, although we each have our own perspectives and approaches. The purpose of the MMI in my view is to determine if you are an ethical thinker and problem solver when placed in ambiguous or uncertain situations. Back in the day, my approach was simple. I had been blessed with uncomfortable life experiences which I had been able to resolve satisfactorily. Accordingly, my prep was minimal as I went in relying upon my life experiences. The interviewer is interested in your thinking process more than your solution to any given problem. Treat the interviewer as an inquisitive and intelligent 12 year old to whom you are explaining your thinking process in dealing with various situations. Do not have anxiety, rather treat the MMI as a "practice session" that you are doing just for fun. I promise you the outcome will exceed your expectations! :P