Premed 101 Forums

Getting into a dental specialty without undergrad?

I’m in Quebec where we have 2 years of “pre-college” after 11th grade (called Cegep, we have courses such as organic chemistry, linear algebra, biology, microbiology, etc). It is possible to apply straight to dental school out of Cegep without needing an undergrad, which is what I’m currently planning on doing. If I were to get into dental school through this route, would I be at a disadvantage when applying to dental speciality (I’m interested in oral medicine and pathology). 

I got worried because when looking through University of Toronto’s oral med and pathology specialty program page, I read that applicants are “expected to have basic undergraduate knowledge in medicine and pathology”. Would I be at a disadvantage if I were to apply without having done an undergrad before dental school? Would this set me back in general when applying to a specialty?

Yes you may be considered at a disadvantage, but not a huge one. If you did well in dental school ie. ranking/marks and won distinctions you would have no issue getting accepted. Loads of people go into specialty with only CEGEP in the US (more so) and Canada. Different schools may consider each aspect of your application package differently, so dont assume because one school might that the same would apply to other schools.