Premed 101 Forums

If I start a second undergrad degree do I have to wait until third and fourth year to have a decent chance?

To give you some background I already have a BSc degree with a GPA of ~3.7 on a 4-point scale (~85%), and I'm gunning for UBC med. 

As far as I'm aware, you can apply to medical school in the first year of your second degree. However, many med schools value third and fourth year courses and some even value an upward trend.

So does this mean that, even if my grades will average on the upside (UBC policy on second degrees), I won't have a decent chance until I reach my third and fourth years? (Excluding the reason that my grades would be simply higher by then).

• 2 weeks later...

As far as I know, UBC cannot care less about which courses you did take and it is not like they actually value some courses more than others. your Academic score is calculated automatically. One of my friend is an immigrant from Iran and they counted all of his courses and he got a very good Academic score. Guess what were those courses, about 20-30 credits were basically "the ideology of Imam Khomeini", "the topical interpretation of qoran" , "Islamic life style" , "classic Iranian poetry", you name it...

On 3/23/2021 at 8:27 PM, Olle said:

To give you some background I already have a BSc degree with a GPA of ~3.7 on a 4-point scale (~85%), and I'm gunning for UBC med. 

As far as I'm aware, you can apply to medical school in the first year of your second degree. However, many med schools value third and fourth year courses and some even value an upward trend.

So does this mean that, even if my grades will average on the upside (UBC policy on second degrees), I won't have a decent chance until I reach my third and fourth years? (Excluding the reason that my grades would be simply higher by then).

Depends on the school. From what you're saying it seems like UBC does not care what the courses are. McMaster, too, does not care what courses you take it just lumps them all together without weighting. Other schools are more nuanced in terms of their GPA modifications, and from what I recall some require a certain proportion of high level courses to qualify for GPA weighting.