Premed 101 Forums

Post-bacc program in Canada?

Hi everyone, I have graduated from a Canadian university and want to apply to med schools in Canada. However, my GPA is not competitive for Canadian med schools, but going to Caribbean or US med school may not giving me a better chance for residency match when coming back here, plus the tuition fees are too expensive. I know in US there are some post-bac programs that could help boosting GPA, so I'm wondering if anyone know of any kind of post-bacc program like that in Canada? If there is, would they be accredited and accepted for Canadian med schools? For another option, if I'm taking the post-bacc program in US to boost my GPA then going back and apply for Canadian med schools, would it be accepted and considered for GPA calculation? Anyone was in the same boat and could give me any advices? I would be really appreciated!

Canada doesn't have any formal post-back "Special masters programs" like there in the US affiliated with a medical school where you basically do first year of medical school and if you do well enough schools will overlook a poor undergrad GPA. You can do an unofficial post-bac in Canada where you just sign up for a year of undergrad courses without declaring a major, these courses will add to your GPA like any other courses, but some schools have special formulas and rules that may only apply to degree-granting years, but if you're just trying to get your GPA up it should be fine. If you attend one of the US official post-bac programs then you may be at advantage for it's a affiliated medical school and some other medical schools that look at it, but you should be very careful that its a Canadian friendly school in the first place. How it would be represented in Canada I'm not sure about, it likely depends weather its classified as undergraduate or graduate (as in special masters program) because most Canadian schools will only count them if its undergrad.

• 1 month later...
5 hours ago, AllieSulvian said:

Hey @bearded frog, I thought about doing this as well since my GPA from my first degree is not good at all, however I thought that most medical schools in Canada require you to be enrolled in a bachelor's degree program where you already declared your major no?

You'll have to look at what each school will look at but almost all will consider any undergraduate you do for cumulative GPAs, but those with GPA adjustment schemes may have requirements as being part of a degree to qualify for GPA modification.